Parfum de Peau, Montana (1986)  » Perfume  »
  • The drydown is soft enough (the faux-vanilla effect, created primarily by the interaction of jasmine, rose and sandalwood), but still interesting

• by Pretty Polly

Being an avid scent collector, I have a respectable collection of perfumes.

But only one of them was ever STOLEN from me. And it wasn’t Joy (once touted as “the most expensive perfume in the world”), it wasn’t the mythical Chanel No 5 (alas – I wouldn’t have missed that one!), and it wasn’t any of my pet fragrances.

The one that got stolen (by a supposed friend of mine!) was Peau de Parfum by MONTANA.

I suspect it was only partly for its scent (which many

do find extremely appealing), and partly because of the bottle. Its bottle is – or was – a modern masterpiece in itself. And it’s the beauty of the bottle that I still miss.

The perfume was launched in 1986; I received it in 1990, as a gift from my father.

The scent immediately struck me as very spicy vanilla – a very strong and enveloping, even overpowering vanilla.

It turned out, however, that this scent does not contain vanilla at all - not even a drop of it.

It ...

• belongs to the “leather” olfactory group and it was created by Jean Guichard (the perfumer who also created “Loulou”, by Cacharel, and “Obsession”, by Calvin Klein, among others.)

It is composed of blackberry, ginger, orange blossom, pepper, marigold and black currant (top notes); patchouli, jasmine, rose and narcissus (middle notes); and leather, amber, musk and incense (base notes).

The effect is very spicy, but - on my skin, at least – not harsh at all (as spicy perfumes can be).

The ginger, surprisingly enough, is very discernible from

the very first moment (although, as expected, not very pesistent).

The drydown is soft enough (the faux-vanilla effect, created primarily by the interaction of jasmine, rose and sandalwood), but still interesting. And its longevity is extraordinary.

All in all, definitely interesting, but not in my style.

I’d still be willing to give it another chance – preferably on a cold, grey day.

If I ever get it back.

Be warned that the scent has been reformulated in the mid-1990s, but the original can still be found via collectors’ websites and special-order stores.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 568051086301031/k2311a058/5.8.10