Nikon Coolpix S9 Digital Camera  » Cameras  »
  • First, I will tell you the things that I love about my camera
  • In my opinion, this is not a camera you’d want to use when taking memorable photos either
  • Out of frustration over the Nikon Coolpix S9 blurry picture problem, we bought a second digital point and shoot camera which takes very nice photos with richer dimension
  • I did have to send my camera in for repairs once and the problem was covered under warranty with no cost to me
  • I think Nikon could have done a much better job designing this camera

• by Amy

My Nikon Coolpix S9 Digital Camera and I have a sort of love-hate relationship.

First, I will tell you the things that I love about my camera.

I love the sleek design. It measures about 2”x3”x1/2” and easily slides into my pants or jacket pocket for easy access. The lens is situated in the top left corner and my fingers do not get in the way when taking a picture. The on/off, shutter, zoom, and one-touch portrait buttons are easy to locate on the top right of the camera. It is easy to review pictures you have taken and scroll through them with access buttons on the back side of the camera and the viewing screen is a nice size measuring about 1 1/2” x 1 1/2”. The memory card and battery are both easy to access on the bottom of the camera. I also like the fact that I can

take video with sound! The quality of both video and sound is good and the little microphone picks up voices at a distance pretty well. The macro setting takes nice pictures and the self-timer has a blinking red light which alerts you when the picture is about to be taken. Pictures are easy to erase but are not easily erased, meaning, you’d have to not be paying attention to mistakenly erase a picture. It has 6.1 megapixels and 3x zoom.

Now, for the things that I do not like about my camera. No matter what type of picture I take, even using a tripod, the camera will say “Picture is blurred. Do you want to save it?”. The only way that I can get it to not claim that a picture is blurred is to use the flash, but a flash is not desired for EVERY photo opportunity. Sometime the ...

• flash will wash out and ruin a picture. Other times, the entire background is dark and the subject is too bright. Many, many times however, if I do not use the flash, the picture will be blurred for absolutely no reason at all. I does not matter what setting I select in the menu either. The digital menu is far to confusing and has too many options for a palm size camera such as this. The camera does not capture action well either. If you snap a picture of an object in motion, the object will be blurry. In my opinion, this is not a camera you’d want to use when taking memorable photos either. We used my camera at the hospital when my son was born and sadly, most of his pictures turned out blurry, again, for no reason. On the few instances that we did use the flash,
        the entire background was black and he was washed out in bright white from the flash. The photos seem to lack dimension too. Out of frustration over the Nikon Coolpix S9 blurry picture problem, we bought a second digital point and shoot camera which takes very nice photos with richer dimension.

I did have to send my camera in for repairs once and the problem was covered under warranty with no cost to me. When I was taking a picture of a squirrel in a tree, I pressed the shutter button and the shutter stuck open and would not take any more pictures and looked like a star field on the display screen.

I have my camera with me at all times but as I said, it’s a love-hate relationship. I think Nikon could have done a much better job designing this camera. At least I still own and use it despite its annoying problems.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 438051086271031/k2311a058/5.8.10