Tresor (Lancome, 1990), Eau de Toilette  » Perfume  »
2.0
  • I especially enjoyed the vivacious, tart black currant note, which I thought was actually discernible (unlike in many other compositions that also use it)
  • Most of all, I found its character totally different from the tagline

• by Pretty Polly

IMPORTANT: Note that this is a review of the Eau de Toilette. Inexplicably, its composition is completely different from that of the Eau de Parfum, so this review doesn’t pertain to the latter.

(So I wonder: which of the two is Kate Winslet, the new face for “Tresor”, fronting? Yes, they are THAT different.)

The Eau de Parfum contains the following notes (as copied directly from the maker’s website): rose petals, apricot blossom, peach tree flowers, lily-of-the-valley, vanilla, heliotrope and iris; rose and amber; sandalwood and musk.

The Eau de Toilette (reviewed here), marketed as “extremely fruity, extremely fresh”, opens with notes of apricot rose and blackcurrant buds, with “voluptuous” lilac and magnolia petals as middle notes, and a “pure base” of sandalwood and vanilla.

Its opening notes are indeed lovely: sweet and sprightly, lilting in a very feminine fashion. I especially enjoyed the vivacious, tart black currant note,

which I thought was actually discernible (unlike in many other compositions that also use it).

A few minutes later the fruity notes settled down into a profoundly floral, perfectly rounded composition: very sweet and feminine (in an old-fashioned yet appealing way), but never “girly”.

In the cold weather this intoxicating cloud of flowers in full bloom was just warm enough to make me feel very pretty and merry and alluring; but even then I wondered how it would feel in warmer weather.

As soon as I came in from the cold, however, and the scent deployed all its notes, it rapidly became “too much” - too much of everything. I patiently waited for it to subside into something more sedate and perhaps more woody or resinous… No such luck. The heavy scent of “violets” (actually, there are no violets listed, so it must have been the lilac, the magnolia ...

• and/or the lily-of-the-valley) just lingered on and on, like a nice and oh-so-sweet guest who has long overstayed her welcome.

Its sillage is quite strong, and so is its longevity. Twelve hours after having spritzed just a few drops on my wrists, that cloud of floral sweetness – which had become nauseating at that point – still relentlessly wafted up from my wrists.

Most surprisingly (for such an upscale fragrance), on my skin at least, the drydown smelled exactly like the middle stage: sickeningly sweet “violets” (lilac, magnolia, lily-of-the-valley), now firmly anchored in equally sweet vanilla. There was no further development, no intriguing afterglow.

Furthermore, I could not distinguish this fragrance from the myriad other similar scents I have smelled in my life. It’s as if it were composed of fragments of olfactory memories of other perfumes.

Most of all, I found its character totally different from

the tagline: it was only “extremely fruity” during the very first minutes - and it was never “extremely fresh”, certainly not on my skin (which admittedly turns everything, even vinegar, into a honey-sweet scent).

According to one of those countless silly newspaper polls, TRESOR was found to be one of those fragrances that guarantee a successful date (whatever that may be). Men are supposed to find it (or rather the women who wear it) “huggable”.

Maybe so. But I could not envisage spending an entire evening – or anywhere more than half an hour – with this cloyingly sweet boa constrictor around my neck. No man is worth such a sacrifice!

On the other hand, I could easily see how this fragrance could complement personality of someone perhaps more austere than myself, by “softening” her image; and with the right body chemistry, I can definitely see its potential appeal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 568051085870931/k2311a058/5.8.10