OpenShot Non-Stream Video Editor for Linux  » Software  »
  • Last week I decided to give OpenShot a try and I have some thoughs to share
  • There are things I really liked but some that I found to be just broken
  • I really enjoyed the interface, it has just the very essential to edit video
  • I've already mentioned the problem with the video preview
  • I liked OpenShot and I'll definitely used it again, but will wait to another release

• by protoboard

Linux is an awesome operating system, it’s powerful and secure and it’s the natural choice when looking for a server. That’s the reason almost all the supercomputers around the world are based on this OS. And yes, it’s great when doing lot’s of calculations but it’s not as good when facing a normal, Windows used to, user. Linux has evolved too much and it’s really ready for a desktop use, but one thing that’s been missed from a long time is a good video editor. OpenShot aims to be that ultimate editor for

the Linux desktop.

OpenShot aims specially to Ubuntu wich is the distribution I use. Last week I decided to give OpenShot a try and I have some thoughs to share. There are things I really liked but some that I found to be just broken. What I liked the most is the clean interface. You are presented just with a media library, two tracks to add video and audio and the preview window, with just the basic controllers. If you need any effect or transition you can change between them and the media library ...

• by just selecting the desired tab. The real-time preview works fine but from time to time video freezes and all that you can see is a still image. I really enjoyed the interface, it has just the very essential to edit video.

There are many things I disliked. The latest version at the moment I’m writing this is OpenShot 1.1.3, and although it sounds like a final release they should warn users that it’s still a work in progress, or at least that was my impression. I’ve already mentioned the problem with the video

preview. It also has some trouble handling certain video files like some DVD it just couldn’t open, so I had to encode those videos to xvid first. The application also suddenly froze a few times, it was a good thing that I was saving the project with any change I did, but the worst of OpenShot was that the real-time preview showed everything right but when I exported the video to a file the video and audio were out of sync.

I liked OpenShot and I’ll definitely used it again, but will wait to another release.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 307051084380331/k2311a057/5.7.10