World Market Velvet Curtain, Chocolate  » Housewares  »
  • I think most of us think of saturated jewel tones when it comes to velvet panels
  • And I like that the rod pocket at top is deep enough to fit even the fatter wooden curtain rods that are popular these days
  • So, my advice is to get those curtains out of the package and onto the curtain rod as soon as possible and avoid this issue altogether

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

Velvet curtains are the worst when they are cheap looking. The last time I saw velvet curtains at an import store advertised as chocolate brown they turned out to be a wimpy sort of light milk chocolate color. I think most of us think of saturated jewel tones when it comes to velvet panels. These curtain panels are a nice rich shade of dark brown, which is the exact shade I had in mind. And I like that the rod pocket at top is deep enough to fit even the fatter wooden curtain rods that are popular these days.

I would point out that the velvet does tend to hold creases, which I’m glad to say is not as obvious in the dark brown color.

I have another pair of moss green ones and the creases and wrinkles are more noticeable. They can’t be machine washed and I’d be real scared to touch the cotton velvet with an iron. So, my advice is to get those curtains out of the package and onto the curtain rod as soon as possible and avoid this issue altogether.

Now, even though it’s velvet the material doesn’t have any of sheen to it. This came as a surprise to me. It’s quite flat looking as opposed to the sumptuous velvet you would find on a prom dress. The velvet has the same look as flocking, meaning it pretty much absorbs light. It’s a very dark brown to begin with. So it’s going to look ...

• pretty darned dark, almost black in fact in a room that isn’t well lit, and especially at night. I don’t mind it, because I was looking for a dramatic look in my dining room, but some people might find it a bit stark looking. I don’t think I’d recommend this color so much for a living room, but I think these would be great in a room you’d want to be dark anyway, like a media room.

Another thing is that the folds are not as soft as opposed to a more slippery material. It also is kind of heavy and stiff. It doesn’t drape quite as nicely as a rayon velvet would. Also, while it’s pretty good at blocking out light, the weave isn’t tight

enough that it won’t show little pinholes of light through it. So for a professional look I would still suggest lining the curtains if you intend to draw them across your windows. I’m just using mine as decorative side panels, so this is not an issue for me.

These curtain panels are not the highest quality and not good for all rooms, but they are pretty smart looking for thirty dollars. I find them to be excellent as non functional dummy panels. The dark brown color of them is very rich looking and I’m happy to say they’re a major step up from the import store velvet panels of just a few years past.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 537051083950231/k2311a057/5.7.10