CVS Heartburn Relief Tablets  » Medicine  »
  • And, since my gallbladder was removed, I have a much higher sensitivity to certain foods than I ever used to and find that I actually experience heartburn far more often than I ever did in the past
  • I have a tendency to eat foods I know are going to give me heartburn but, I'll admit, I'm a total glutton for punishment and would rather treat the heartburn than stay away from the foods I enjoy the most
  • And since I'm a rather financially conscious shopper, I thought I'd check out some generic brand alternatives to heartburn medication, and I'm one of those who is typically fooled into thinking generic brands ARE cheaper
  • I paid almost $10 for 50 count box of heartburn relief tablets
  • I keep a stock of this brand in my house because I know it works, and I can take it for my heartburn and my teens can take it for upset stomachs when they occur, and it seems to work well for all of us

• by Anasuya

I had a surgery several years ago to remove my gallbladder. The symptoms of gallbladder disease mimicked those of heartburn, which generally included a burning sensation around the diaphragm and a bit off to the right of the sternum. And, since my gallbladder was removed, I have a much higher sensitivity to certain foods than I ever used to and find that I actually experience heartburn far more often than I ever did in the past.

So, on that lovely note, I tend to keep a running supply of heartburn tablets in my house at all times and, quite honestly, I need them more often than I’d like to admit. I have a tendency to eat foods I know are going to give me heartburn but, I’ll admit, I’m a total glutton for punishment and would rather treat the

heartburn than stay away from the foods I enjoy the most.

And since I’m a rather financially conscious shopper, I thought I’d check out some generic brand alternatives to heartburn medication, and I’m one of those who is typically fooled into thinking generic brands ARE cheaper. In this case, they aren’t.

I paid almost $10 for 50 count box of heartburn relief tablets. Granted, 50 is more than what usually comes in a container of this kind of medication, but I’d have prefered a smaller count so I could just try them out first.

Sure, I suppose if I was really buying in bulk, then this might ultimately save me money, but when I’m testing a product, I’d rather not pay so much to start with.

Since I typically know what foods are going to upset me, I take ...

• one or two tablets with water about thirty minutes before a meal.

This is really nice because when I’m going out to eat with friends, they never have to know what kind of reactions I have to some greasy foods, and I’m able to sit and talk after the meal without rushing home to treat heartburn. And it does work as a great preventative measure.

In fact, though you can take it before or after heartburn occurs, I’ve actually found that it works better if you use it as a preventative step, because it seems once the heartburn sets in, it takes these tablets a while to become effective. Seems to make more sense to me to take them before the meal and avoid the discomfort all together.

I also like that it treats more than heartburn. I can

take it for an upset stomach as well (which they seem to coin as a “sour” stomach), and it helps a bit for that, though not quite as much as pepto would.

However, in a pinch, it’s very nice to find a medication that has multiple uses. I keep a stock of this brand in my house because I know it works, and I can take it for my heartburn and my teens can take it for upset stomachs when they occur, and it seems to work well for all of us.

It could be a little cheaper for a generic brand, but it’s the same active ingredients as in the name brands, so I guess it stands to reason they could charge more for it. At any rate, it works, which I suppose is the most important factor of all.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 267051083250131/k2311a057/5.7.10