You won $500 from Yahoo!  » Scam  »
  • Contact the company where the email supposedly came from and check if they did send such emails (unfortunately Yahoo's automated mail service isn't much help

• by Maia Chou
      I got this email supposedly from Yahoo! congratulating me on being one of the twelve randomly choosen accounts to be awarded $500. I was so happy about winning and so excited about being ‘choosen’ so I filled in the email address associated with my Paypal account so they can send the money to me. After I clicked the submit button, I was soon redirected to a site that looks like Yahoo! on the top half.

The other half shows an error message and a much longer form to fill up. The error message says that I’m not a premium member of Yahoo!

games and that only members can receive payment.

To fix the error, the email instruction says that need to fill in the form with my information and pay through either Paypal, e-gold or MoneyBookers the membership fee of $8. 75.

I thought, it’s only $8. 75 but i’ll get $500 in winnings so I choose to pay the membership fee through my Paypal account because I don’t have an account with e-gold or oneyBookers.

I dutifully filled in the form with my information (terrible mistake!) and selected Paypal for paying the membership fee. I was redirected to e-gold when I have already chosen Paypal.

...

• This is where I realized that this isn’t legitimate. I tried again, and again I choose Paypal.

Sure enough, I was again redirected to the e-gold sign up page. It seems that the scammers can’t get through Paypal so they kept redirecting me to e-gold.

So please be warned. Even if the email looks like it came from Yahoo! or any other legitimate company, never trust an email that says it will give you money.

An email telling you that you have won, inherited, or was choosen to receive ANYTHING is 99% scam. Be smart and don’t do anything hasty.

Contact the

company where the email supposedly came from and check if they did send such emails (unfortunately Yahoo’s automated mail service isn’t much help!). I did and after a week of trying to send Yahoo! a complaint/feedback email about this scam using Yahoo! site and services, I got a reply telling me that several accounts have sent complaints about the same fraudulent ‘You won $500 emails’ for Yahoo! to look into.

The scumbags haven’t stopped sending me the same email every other day. I just hit the delete button each time and I wrote this review to hopefully warn others from being conned.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 602511108310330/k2311a1125/11.25.06