Ming’s Garden Chinese Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
150 Front St., Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • I decided to take my wife out for a surprise dinner out last night and was in the mood for Chinese food
  • It was an OK dining experience but I honestly found myself missing our usual eating place
  • First of all, of all the Chinese places here in town, Ming’s still does have the best selection
  • I have never taken the time to learn the names of the foods I like so ordering from a menu isn’t something I’m comfortable with
  • I don’t know if it is a place I would visit on a regular basis but I wouldn’t have any problem taking my wife out to dinner there again in the future

• by Review Vigilante

I decided to take my wife out for a surprise dinner out last night and was in the mood for Chinese food. Normally, we would drive across town to visit the Chinese place by Walmart. But, it was a school night and we had to pick our daughters up from my parents right after (they don’t like Chinese food) so I decided to just go to Ming’s Garden Chinese Buffet downtown. It was an OK dining experience but I honestly found myself missing our usual eating place.

First of all, of all the Chinese places here in town, Ming’s still does have the best selection. I have never taken the time to learn the names of the foods I like so ordering from a menu isn’t something I’m comfortable with. I love the fact they have several different buffets to choose from and

even have some American foods like pizza (which, unfortunately, my kids still won’t eat so I can’t bring them with us).

And, as far as atmosphere goes, it’s definitely a nice restaurant. The one we usually eat at looks more like a fast food place than a true dine-in restaurant. This place, both with the size and the lighting, is more what you would expect.

I especially love the big fish tank they have in the one corner (though I usually end up wondering if those large fish end up in the food at some point). Service wise, I really couldn’t complain. It wasn’t as good as our usual Chinese restaurant but it was slightly better than some of the other restaurants around town.

My wife still hates the service there because, for some weird and unexplained reason, I am always offered a ...

• re-fill of my drink but nobody ever offers to do the same for her (even when she has less in her glass than me). I’m not sure if they just don’t like her or if they are opposed to giving women extra beverages. Oh, and I also couldn’t help but notice most of the servers don’t seem to speak English other than phrases you would normally hear spoken at a restaurant.

I tried to joke with our waitress a bit and she just gave me a blank stare like she had no idea what I was saying to her. Of course, it could have just been a terrible joke too. The food itself was pretty decent.

It didn’t taste any different than any other Chinese restaurant I have dined at so I can’t say it was better or worse than the other places

in town. It was just average. But, again, there was quite a bit more to choose from at this place than the other places so there were some foods that I had nothing to compare them with.

Price wise, the restaurant was a bit on the high side compared to our regular spot. I think we spent about $4 more at Ming’s (before leaving a tip) than we do at the other place (after leaving a tip). So, if you do choose to eat there, I would recommend making sure to eat a bit more than you would elsewhere; just to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth.

Overall, I feel the restaurant was a decent place to have a dinner. I don’t know if it is a place I would visit on a regular basis but I wouldn’t have any problem taking my wife out to dinner there again in the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 77051082781231/k2311a057/5.7.10