Magens Bay Beach  » Travel  »
Magens Bay Road, St. Thomas, USVI
  • Magens Bay Beach is a very popular tourist destination on St. Thomas, and I think it's an absolutely beautiful beach, but it's not my favorite beach on the island
  • It's all a matter of personal preference, because even though the tropical scenery at Magens Bay Beach is spectacular, I prefer the smaller, more quiet beaches on the island
  • I definitely think that anyone visiting St. Thomas should go to Magens Bay Beach at least one time, but I also think there are several other beaches that are equally worth the trip
  • I lived on St. Thomas for several years, and although I genuinely enjoyed going to Magens Bay from time to time, some of my favorite beaches are smaller beaches on the east end of the island
  • A day at Magens Bay Beach will truly be a once in a lifetime experience for anyone

• by Davis Tucker

Magens Bay Beach is a very popular tourist destination on St. Thomas, and I think it’s an absolutely beautiful beach, but it’s not my favorite beach on the island. At one time, National Geographic rated it one of the top ten beaches in the world, but I think it’s overrated compared to some of the other beaches on St. Thomas. It’s all a matter of personal preference, because even though the tropical scenery at Magens Bay Beach is spectacular, I prefer the smaller, more quiet beaches on the island.

I definitely think that anyone visiting St. Thomas should go to Magens Bay Beach at least one time, but I also think there are several other beaches that are equally worth the trip. I lived on St. Thomas for several years, and although I genuinely enjoyed going to Magens Bay from time to time, some of my favorite beaches are smaller beaches on the east end of the island.

I enjoyed the times I spent at Magens Bay Beach because it really has a lot to offer. Aside from the scenery itself, including stately palm trees, clear aqua blue

water, and a long sandy stretch of beach, there are plenty of things available to keep anyone entertained for an entire day at the beach. There’s a bar, a snack stand, and a boutique, and there are also rentals available, from snorkeling and water sports equipment to chaise lounges. When I went to Magens Bay, I usually spent several hours there at a time, but I didn’t have to worry about bringing a cooler, or anything more than a beach towel, because I could get everything I needed there, and everything is affordably priced.

I would usually go to the bar first to get a strawberry daiquiri, and then find a place on the beach to soak up the sun. If I didn’t feel like getting up from my spot on the beach to get a refill I didn’t have to, because there are servers that walk around the beach taking drink orders, and they’ll bring you anything you want. The bartenders and servers have been consistently friendly and attentive every time I’ve been there. The snack stand also deserves an honorable mention, because the pizza is ...

• delicious.

I never leave without ordering a slice, and a slice of pizza is huge and filling, but only costs around $2. I also enjoyed going to Magens Bay occasionally because even though it’s generally a highly populated beach, the beach itself is almost a mile long, so it’s still possible to find a fairly quiet, fairly private spot to enjoy yourself in the sun. The palm trees also provide plenty of shade if the sun gets too intense. After about an hour in the hot sun on Magens Bay Beach, I would usually find a little shelter from the sun under a palm tree, and enjoy watching all of the tourists come and go.

The water is also always refreshing there. I’ve never been there on a day when the water wasn’t perfectly clear. It’s a nice place to try snorkeling if you enjoy snorkeling. I usually stay pretty close to the shore when I’m in the water at Magens Bay, because there have been a few shark sightings there, and I don’t like getting too close to nature’s wonders.

Other than the fact that

Magens Bay Beach is a largely crowded tourist destination, it’s not my favorite beach on the island because it’s not conveniently located near any of the commercial districts, and you actually have to pay for entrance to the beach. Because it’s in a rather remote location on the island, transportation can be a little expensive to get there. On top of that, they charge entrance fees per person and per car. I don’t know of any other beaches on the island that charge entrance fees, and although I understand that the fees are used for the upkeep of the beach, I think that all beaches everywhere in the world should be free of charge.

They’re natural wonders that we should be able to enjoy without monetary burden. Overall, I think Magens Bay Beach is a destination anyone visiting St. Thomas should visit at least once, because it’s a true example of a spectacular island paradise. Even though it’s not my personal favorite, I don’t think there are many other beaches in the world that are more beautiful.

A day at Magens Bay Beach will truly be a once in a lifetime experience for anyone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383051082351031/k2311a053/5.3.10