Metro 2033 game  » Games  »
  • I found the game to be a very loose interpretation of the book
  • This is not to say that the game is bad, merely that fans of the book will be disappointed
  • The best comparison I have is that it plays almost like a linear version of Fallout 3
  • It has the same desolate feeling, and in reality I think Metro did it much better than Fallout
  • I have not seen a book ever transition into a game so well as in metro, and I, once again, highly recommend it

• by Justin Dobson

Metro 2033 is a game based off of the book by Dmitry Glukhovsky. The main premise of the game is that after a nuclear war, the survivors in Moscow, Russia fled underground to the metro. The actual game takes place about 20 years later, where you play as Artyom, a survivor living in the northernmost station, Exhibition Station. It is here that we find a new form a mutant threatening the survival of the entire metro. Artyom must travel the metro, facing its many dangers in order to

save it.

I found the game to be a very loose interpretation of the book. Mainly it used the same antagonists, and character in new situations, in a new metro. This is not to say that the game is bad, merely that fans of the book will be disappointed.

The game itself is very well done, and I was surprised at the quality just based on the fact the it was created around a book. The best comparison I have is that it plays almost like a linear version ...

• of Fallout 3. It has the same desolate feeling, and in reality I think Metro did it much better than Fallout. The system of currency they use, military grade ammunition, is very creative, especially given the fact that you can use the currency as weapon in desperate situations. I found that this added a whole dimension of hoarding, and conserving to the game. The character development varied, in some cases they created very good characters, in others they seemed a little forced. The 10 hour linear game play
        was a little annoying as well, though it could be because I am used to the freedom of Fallout. Though they did add a nice collection of weapons in the game.

In conclusion, I defiantly think this game is at the very least, worth a rent, if not a buy just so the developer will create a are the short game play, and the linear game play. I have not seen a book ever transition into a game so well as in metro, and I, once again, highly recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 283051081260831/k2311a053/5.3.10