Blackberry Curve 8330
  • I get both my work and personal e-mails on my phone, which is very convenient
  • Most of these are junk mail, so it is not a huge problem, but every once in a while there is one I want to read and can't
  • It always fixes itself, but it is definitely a pain when it happens
  • I think it is probably just getting old and worn out (you use the roller ball for a lot with this phone) but they should probably make it to last longer, since it is so crucial to operating the phone
  • This was a great starter phone and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a nice phone for a year or two that doesn't require a huge investment

• by Sam S

I have had this phone for almost two years now. I switched from a “traditional” phone to a “smartphone” when I switched service providers. I am glad I did. Service quality is the same, but you get a lot more options with a “smartphone” than you do with a “traditional” phone.

I get both my work and personal e-mails on my phone, which is very convenient. I don’t have to constantly be checking e-mail or be tied to a computer. Regular text e-mail messages come through fine; I can even download and read some smaller PDF and JPEG attachments right on my phone. But messages embedded with links (messages from stores, messages with graphics) only come up with the text of the links, not the graphics or full message. It is kind of a pain. Most of these are junk mail, so it is not a huge problem, but every once in a while there is one I want to read and

can’t. There are links in the message for what to do if you are reading the message on a mobile phone, (you can use your phone’s browser to go to a website and read the content) but by the time it has loaded it isn’t really worth it.

I love the full keyboard. It is very easy to use; with all of the letters in about the same place as they are on my computer keyboard. I have run into some problems trying to call customer service for large companies who spell their phone number with letters instead of writing it in numbers (ex. 1800-DIRECTV) since the number buttons don’t have the smaller letters to let you know which letters each number corresponds to, and have actually had to look up the letter placement and/or actual number several times. You would be surprised how many companies only advertise the text version!

The roller ball is great, but mine frequently stops working. It always fixes itself, but it is ...

• definitely a pain when it happens; there is really no other way to scroll through your applications, messages, contacts, or call log. I think it is probably just getting old and worn out (you use the roller ball for a lot with this phone) but they should probably make it to last longer, since it is so crucial to operating the phone.

My favorite part of the phone is probably the internet. I don’t use the internet for a ton of things, but if I am driving, out shopping, or away from my computer I use it to find the addresses and phone numbers of stores or restaurants, compare prices of something I want to buy, or see a map of the area to decide where I want to go. It is all really basic internet use, but it saves me a lot of time, money, and hassle not having to call 411 or look everything up on the internet before I leave the house.

Recently I got a Blackberry

App World app on my phone; it downloaded itself automatically. This has been nice; I have gotten a couple free games and a free map application that I really like. The application is for the newer Blackberrys though, and sometimes it freezes mine up, or the applications won’t download.

In the end I am glad I bought this phone. When I bought it I believe I paid $100 for it. I am glad I didn’t get a more expensive option, since these days after 2 years a phone is out of date and you have to replace it anyways. I look forward to getting a new phone soon; I will definitely stick with a Blackberry, but maybe one without the roller ball this time. Now they make them with a roller pad, or touch screen instead. This was a great starter phone and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a nice phone for a year or two that doesn’t require a huge investment.

Blackberry Curve 8330

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 373051079211031/k2311a053/5.3.10