Medela Symphony Breastpump
  • If you can afford to buy a Medela Symphony Breastpump, I highly recommend it

• by Santa Maria

If you can afford to buy a Medela Symphony Breastpump, I highly recommend it. It’s a hospital-grade pump and that’s where I got to use it. When my baby was born, the nurses gave me this pump to start up my milk supply. At first nothing came out, but after a day or two of modest pumping, I was able to fill up 2 oz. bottles with colostrum quite easily. It really helped me build up my milk supply. My only complaint was I had to

hold the bottles during pumping, so I couldn’t do anything else. If you’re exhausted after delivery like I was (and who wouldn’t be?), it can be tiresome.Another thing is it’s very indiscreet. So it’s not a good choice for work or travel.

The Medela Symphony Breastpump is easy to use. You assemble the parts, align the flanges on your breasts and turn it on. The pumping is in two parts the first one with less pressure than the second one so it doesn’t hurt your nipples. You can adjust ...

• the pressure too if you want to pump more, faster. The parts can be disassembled for cleaning. If it’s only the first few days after delivery, it can take up to 45 minutes to get a significant amount of milk. But after 2 weeks, it will be a lot more.

The breastpump came with a manual version. This is what I use now after a kind soul gave me one. The manual pump is fine if you aren’t a heavy user. But it will wear out your arm. And

it doesn’t have the power of an electric pump. If your milk supply is low and you want only breast milk for your baby (no formula supplement), a manual pump alone can’t help you do that.

Because it’s hospital-grade, the Medela Symphony Breastpump is too expensive for the average consumer. Luckily, you can rent it for like $40 to $60 a month. I’m thinking of doing that myself. It’s worth the money.

Pros: Easy to use Industrial strength Nice design Simultaneous pumping Painless use

Cons: Expensive Not hands-free Hassle to clean up Indiscreet Unwieldy

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 543051079201031/k2311a053/5.3.10