6502 Software Design book  » Books  »
2.5
  • The emphasis is definitely on giving you the building blocks and letting you try putting them together yourself
  • To be honest I think that this book is likely to be found quite difficult by many readers
  • I find it hard to recommend this book unless you are really dedicated to learning 6502 programming - but if you are, then it may well be worth looking at

• by fredhound

6502 Software Design is a very well known book in the classic computer area, which was written by Leo J. Scanlon and first published as long ago as 1980 - though it went through a lot of printings, which is testament to its popularity. Although, if I am to be truly honest, a lot of it goes over my head - especially now that I am rustier than I was in actual eight-bit programming - I still

enjoy leafing through it from time to time, if only to see how much I can remember from the last time!

This is an American book, and like many books of that age published in the United States on computing it has a very distinctive look to the pages, with lots of bold type being used but an otherwise quite closely written style. The assembly language listings are given in a different typeface, which I am all in favour of, but I would have preferred the approach more commonly used in the United Kingdom of printing these as actual computer printouts, which I feel gives a slightly more reassuring impression that there are no errors in them.

As you might expect with a general purpose book such as this one, the examples and tutorials given are mostly of a fairly general sort. For example, there is a lot of material about simple arithmetical routines, timing techniques ...

• 6502 Software Design book
      and so on, but with a very few exceptions - one being a 24 hour clock for the AIM 65 microcomputer - there is not much in the way of actual full programs. The emphasis is definitely on giving you the building blocks and letting you try putting them together yourself.

To be honest I think that this book is likely to be found quite difficult by many readers. I certainly had to work quite hard to get

through it, especially as the tone of the writing is quite dry - the British tendency to include either jokes or at least a little touch of dry humour here and there, even in quite serious tutorials, seems to be completely absent, which I do think is a shame. I find it hard to recommend this book unless you are really dedicated to learning 6502 programming - but if you are, then it may well be worth looking at.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1730041078380630/k2311a0430/4.30.10