DirecTV
  • I was impressed with how quickly they came to install the service
  • Getting set-up and out of the introductory period was a little difficult, but now that I've made it through the first couple of months I love it

• by Sam S

Last year my husband and I moved and couldn’t get cable service at our new house. Our choices were either DirecTV or Dish Network. We decided to go with DirecTV because we had several friends who had the service and liked it.

I was impressed with how quickly they came to install the service. We moved just a couple days before Christmas and we had our service up and running before right after Christmas…less than a week after we moved in! It did take a couple of hours to get everything set up, and the installer was in

my home for over 2 hours, which was a little uncomfortable, but I guess necessary to get everything set up correctly.

We received free HBO for the first three months and an introductory rate. I am not a fan of introductory rates and promotional gimmicks like this because if you don’t call to cancel the service after the promotional period they continue to charge you for the services. DirecTV did just that. However, after 20 minutes on the phone I did get the services taken off; a fairly painless experience.

I was worried about the satellite when I first switched; ...

• I had heard horror stories about wind and light rain knocking out service. Our service does occasionally go out, but only in severe storms and heavy snow (something that doesn’t happen frequently in the south). It is more durable than I would’ve expected, but still not as durable as cable.

We have a DVR, which I absolutely love. I record all of my favorite series, and my disc has never been full. I wish that I could record two shows at the same time and watch a different show (if you record two shows at once you have

to watch one of them or watch something that is already recorded), but maybe someday.

I also love all of the High Definition channels, and they are easy to find. They are not separated from the regular channels or on higher channel numbers like some providers. All of my favorite channels are available in HD.

I wasn’t thrilled about having to switch from cable service to DirecTV but in the end I am glad I did. Getting set-up and out of the introductory period was a little difficult, but now that I’ve made it through the first couple of months I love it!

DirecTV

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2330041077590430/k2311a0430/4.30.10