Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy game
  • After the disappointing Ransom of the Seven Ships Nancy Drew game, I could only hope that Warnings at Waverly Academy would be better
  • Now, my favorite games in the series are any that take place in some sort of creepy house/mansion/castle etc, so I don't mind being stuck indoors for the majority of the game
  • However, it works best when there are lots of rooms to explore, and I felt like there wasn't that many in this one
  • It seems like a funny thing to enjoy, but it just makes the setting feel more real when you're on a sort of schedule
  • Still, compared to the last game, it was much better

• by lostinwonderland

After the disappointing Ransom of the Seven Ships Nancy Drew game, I could only hope that Warnings at Waverly Academy would be better. It was! Waverly Academy goes back to what the fans love about the Nancy Drew series. There were plenty of characters to talk to, fun puzzles, no ridiculous map screen, and so on, but there were also some fresh ideas that worked well too.

In this one, Nancy goes undercover at a girl’s boarding school, as the students have been receiving threatening letters from someone called “The Black Cat”. It was a bit disconcerting that Nancy went under an alias in this one (Becca Sawyer), but I liked that it was something a little different to the series. The whole game takes place at the Academy, so there aren’t a whole lot of places to explore. Now, my favorite games in the series are any that take place

in some sort of creepy house/mansion/castle etc, so I don’t mind being “stuck” indoors for the majority of the game. However, it works best when there are lots of rooms to explore, and I felt like there wasn’t that many in this one. For being an Academy, it feels very small. There aren’t even any blocked off stairwells or some indication that the Academy is bigger than the places you have access too, which seemed a little odd to me.

One of my favorite things was the return of Nancy’s cell phone. In this one, she receives text messages, can use the camera phone (very fun!), and of course make calls. You can even customize the phone in different colors and choose different wallpaper (scenes from previous ND games) for the menu. It also offers a clock and alarm, which brings back one of my favorite features of the ND ...

• games, which is controlling your day. Meaning if something has to be done at a certain time, you can simply go back to your room and set the alarm, and Nancy will wake up at that time. It seems like a funny thing to enjoy, but it just makes the setting feel more real when you’re on a sort of schedule.

My favorite part of the game was Nancy’s job at the snack bar, where she had to make orders for her fellow schoolmates. Food preparation has become a bit of a staple in the ND games, and I missed it in the last game and was happy to see its return. The puzzles in this one are far more intuitive, and I managed to figure out most of them without having to consult a walkthrough.

One sort of strange aspect, and I don’t know if it was just me or

what, but I tried to have Nancy call Bess a few times for hints, and she never answered, not once in the game. I had Nancy call Ned once, but their interaction is a bit too “chit-chatty” for my liking, and he didn’t provide any hints so I didn’t bother with him again. I’m still not sure what the deal was with Bess, but at times I really missed not having someone to talk to get hints from within the game.

I won’t spoil the ending, but it felt a bit disappointing and anti-climatic. I felt like there wasn’t enough build-up, and then suddenly the “Black Cat” was being revealed. Still, compared to the last game, it was much better. Waverly Academy isn’t the strongest of the series, but was still a lot of fun and it seems like the game designers are going back in the right direction with the series.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2830041076960330/k2311a0430/4.30.10