Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Assorted Chocolates Gift Box 14.5 Oz Size
  • In fact, if it’s up to me I prefer not to buy assortments at all
  • I’d rather pick out only what I like at a specialty shop
  • As a gift, I love the gold box it comes in very classy
  • I found this assortment to be fairly and evenly divided between crèmes, caramels, nut clusters with white, milk and dark chocolate
  • There’s such a variety there that I think everyone will find a little bit of something in there that they really like

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I often find that the quality of assorted boxed chocolates is all over the place, and doesn’t necessarily correlate to the price. In fact, if it’s up to me I prefer not to buy assortments at all. I’d rather pick out only what I like at a specialty shop. But, my boyfriend brought this assortment home as a gift from a lady he worked for, so I felt obligated to at least give these a try.

As a gift, I love the gold box it comes in very classy. Sort of an old world looking gold. But, I couldn’t be sure that they would be anything special just from the box. Inside, the chocolates were displayed in a

very no frills sort of way, but with a very helpful fold out guide with pictures and descriptions of everything inside.

I found this assortment to be fairly and evenly divided between crèmes, caramels, nut clusters with white, milk and dark chocolate. I always gravitate towards the crèmes first because regardless of the brand I always find them to be the most satisfying. Usually it’s the crèmes that I have to fight for, and then I hunt and peck my way from there hoping to find things I like. True to form, my boyfriend beat me to the butter crèmes. They were apparently very tasty.

My personal favorite actually turned out to be the dark chocolate raspberry fan. I sometimes find that molded chocolates in assortments are hard as bricks, but this wasn’t. It had a lovely velvety texture and a rich raspberry flavor. Both the boyfriend and I loved the coco loco with coconut inside. I found the nut clusters to be a little hard to bite into for my liking, but a nice flavor all the same. The only one that I was so so about was the white chocolate peanut butter one. Not bad, but not especially tasty. My only real complaint is that I love truffles and there’s not a single truffle in this assortment.

The biggest surprise to me was the caramels. I usually hate caramels, I find them chewy, stringy and ...

• Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Assorted Chocolates Gift Box 14.5 Oz Size
      messy and it’s always a bummer when I get to the point where these are all that’s left in the box. Whether they’re See’s, or Whitman’s or Hallmark, I always regret biting into them. They stick in my teeth something awful, and I don’t even find the flavor all that interesting. But, these had that softer oozy type caramel, similar to the kind that’s inside Caramello and Twix. That made me so happy, because I’d totally forgotten there was a kind of caramel that I like. And, the flavor was very interesting, I can’t put my finger on it but it’s definitely something more complex than just a cooked sugar taste.

All in all, I’m pleasantly surprised, especially

as I’ve never even heard of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory till now. I think this particular assortment is an excellent choice for a gift to bring home or send to relatives. There’s such a variety there that I think everyone will find a little bit of something in there that they really like. I’m going to make an effort to remember to buy from this company again. I really feel comfortable recommending giving this assortment as a gift to anyone who likes chocolates. Plus, the fact that they’re competitively priced at under 20 bucks means I can afford to give them out often.

quick note by anonymous :

For some reason I really like chocolate. Try to limit its impossible. Each one is better than the next. From Carmel to truffle. I don’t know which one is better. So fresh to.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4629041076130230/k2311a0429/4.29.10