Arm & Hammer Scrub Free Bathroom Cleaner With Oxy Foaming Action  » Other  »
  • It was, after all, a cleaner that had cost me in excess of $5.00 and I had expected it to perform
  • While the cleaner did remove some of the problem, I found myself having to scrub down the floor of the tub and rinsing it anyway

• by Zoey7879

Oh my, oh my!

I had originally had such high hopes for this product when I purchased it! It was, after all, a cleaner that had cost me in excess of $5.00 and I had expected it to perform. Perform it did, with some serious consequences!

I purchased the Arm & Hammer Scrub Free Bathroom Cleaner With Oxy Foaming Action to use solely around my fiberglass sink area and in my shower. We have hard water where I live, and the shower is used approximately 5 to

7 times a day in my home. Keeping it clean is very important and also very difficult.

I sprayed the walls of my shower, as well as the floor of the tub, liberally. I thought my lungs were on fire. This product has a strong, over powering odor. I ended up turning on the exhaust fan, closing the door, and leaving the cleaner to do its work for five minutes. When I returned I was in for a surprise.

While the cleaner did remove some of the problem, I found myself having to scrub down the floor of the tub and rinsing it anyway. There was a visibly noticeable difference from where the product had reached and where it had not. I was enthralled! Until I realized what it had done to the seams of my shower wall…. It had ate away at the caulking!!

I was extremely infuriated as the shower had just been re-caulked two weeks prior to using this cleaner. I was extremely let down by this supposed to be easy ...

• Arm & Hammer Scrub Free Bathroom Cleaner With Oxy Foaming Action
      to use product that had just cost me an additional $10. I cannot recall that there were warnings on the bottle about using the product near caulk seams. This left me unable to use my shower for three days as the local stores here had been closed for the holiday, and then a 48 hour time to allow the new caulk to properly set.

The fact that the caulk had been eaten away really made me question the over all safety of the product. Just how safe

is this product to breathe in, even for the few moments that consumers are spraying it and leaving it to attempt to serve its intended purpose?

The ruining of the caulk incident and the unpleasant scent aside, this product did perform fairly well, but when it comes to performance vs. value vs. other products I would have to say that it does not pass and I give it a huge thumbs down. Consumers may be safer with other types of cleaners that won’t damage their expensive home items!

Anthony Camasso says :

We have been using Scrub Free Clean Shower the clear kind for several weeks and in the last week or so, have had water leaking out of the glass-doored shower enclosure. I found that caulking had pulled away from the underside of the seat area, so I cleaned it and re-caulked it. Now it looks like the caulking and the clear silicone sealant have been dramatically affected by the Scrub Free Cleaner. I now have to remove all the old caulking and silicone sealant, clean the surface and re-caulk it all again. What`s the deal with this stuff? Is it corroding the sealant or somehow causing it to lift off of the surface of the tile and the shower door framework. It`s a shame too because the product does a nice job keeping the tile clean but I can`t be re-doing the caulking every couple of weeks. Thank you, A.L.Camasso

Zoey7879 replies :

I agree with you, Anthony Camasso, 100% This product did an excellent job cleaning but who can afford to re-caulk their shower, bath, and sink every time that they want to clean it?

I live in an apartment complex. I have NO idea what ingredient that is in this Scrub Free Clean Shower that eats away at the caulk like it does, but it did a fine enough job that the landlord actually accused my children of picking the caulk out of the shower joints. I had to pay to have the caulk redone THREE times before I realized that it was this cleaner eating it away I wish that there would have been some sort of warning on the label

Cost of Cleaner $ 5
Cost of Labor to Repair Damage Caused by Cleaner $ 60 (Due to living in apt.)

• To Buy or Not to Buy
  • - Do NOT buy if you have a jointed shower that is caulked ;

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1229041075421230/k2311a0429/4.29.10