Columbo Mystery Movie Collection 1990 DVD set  » Movies  »
  • Neither do I like the potential harm that can come from having the crucial side of a disk practically lying on another one

• by Orrymain

Like its predecessor from the year before, the Columbo Mystery Movie Collection 1990 DVD set has a DVD layout that I really despise because of the inconvenience involved in selecting a DVD to watch and also the potential for harm to come to the DVDs.

What Universal has done with these sets is overlapped two of the three DVDs instead of giving each its own slot. This means, for example, that if I want to play

disk two, I have to remove disk one first since one is on top of two. It’s a pain, and I don’t like it. Neither do I like the potential harm that can come from having the crucial side of a disk practically lying on another one. It makes scratches a real possibility. This is a cheapskate maneuver by Universal, and it ticks me off whenever I get a set like ...

• this, from them or any company.

The set is without any bonus features of any kind. There are just the two movies per disk included. That includes all six of the Columbo movies done in 1990.

There’s also a weird element to playing these DVDs. I was not able to hit ‘DVD Menu’ to get the menu up after an episode completed. Not only that, but there was no guide back to the main

menu. The only two options were ‘play’ and ’subtitles’. I had to hit the ‘title’ button in order to get the menu up. I’ve never had that happen like that before, and it’s a poor setup on Universal’s part not to have ‘main menu’ option available.

There are a couple of good offerings in this collection, and you can never say that Columbo isn’t worth your time, so this set is worth getting for Columbo fans.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1127041073310730/k2311a0427/4.27.10