Columbo: Death Hits the Jackpot movie  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I don't like the deceptiveness of the character, and his acting does nothing for me at all

• by Orrymain

Poor Freddy. Just when life seems the bleakest, he wins the lottery. Only then he makes the mistake of confiding in his uncle, who then convinces him to go along with a crazy plot that winds up costing him his life. It’s all about money, greed, and bad timing. Freddy is trying to cut out his soon to be ex-wife so launches

into a scheme with the uncle, who just happened to find out he was broke right before Freddy showed up with his news. That’s the essence of Columbo: Death Hits the Jackpot from 1991.

Rip Torn, who I don’t enjoy watching, plays Leon Lamarr, the uncle. I don’t like the deceptiveness of the character, and his acting does nothing for me at all.

I do enjoy ...

• the scene at Freddy’s place where his friends have gathered and sing songs. It’s delightful and fun. Right before it was the funeral at which Columbo spoke Italian with a couple of the guests. One of these was played by Antony Ponzini. I just loved him when he was on One Life to Live. After that, he did a lot of
        villains, but he’s wonderful here. It felt good to see him in this kind of role, even if he didn’t have much to do.

All in all, the show was okay. While I have a strong negative reaction to torn, Ponzini makes it worthwhile. There’s also a small role by Betsy Palmer that I get a kick out of. And, there’s always the wonderful Columbo.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1127041073180730/k2311a0427/4.27.10