Sapphire Beach  » Leisure  »
East End, St. Thomas, USVI 00802
  • Although I think all of the beaches in St. Thomas are absolutely beautiful, every beach is unique, and Sapphire Beach has always been near the top of my list of favorite beaches on the island
  • It's definitely a hot spot for tourists, especially those who are staying at Sapphire Beach Resort, but it's also a favorite hangout for locals
  • I lived on the east end of St. Thomas for several years, and I often enjoyed getting together with friends at Sapphire Beach
  • Although I wouldn't recommend walking there from Red Hook, it's easy and inexpensive to get there
  • I don't think many other beaches in the world can even come close to competing with the spectacular scenery Sapphire Beach has to offer

• by Davis Tucker

Sapphire Beach is one of the most popular beaches on the east end of St. Thomas. Although I think all of the beaches in St. Thomas are absolutely beautiful, every beach is unique, and Sapphire Beach has always been near the top of my list of favorite beaches on the island. The water is clean and clear at all of the beaches on the island, but at Sapphire Beach, the ambiance is exceptional.

It’s definitely a hot spot for tourists, especially those who are staying at Sapphire Beach Resort, but it’s also a favorite hangout for locals. I lived on the east end of St. Thomas for several years, and I often enjoyed getting together with friends at Sapphire Beach. Sapphire Beach is conveniently located near Red Hook, which is the center of activity on the east end of the island.

Although I wouldn’t recommend walking there from Red Hook, it’s easy and inexpensive to get there. Depending on where you’re coming from on

the island, you may want to take a safari bus to get there. The cost to ride the safari bus is only one dollar, and it regularly stops at Sapphire Beach, because the resort is located right along the main road. If you’ve rented a vehicle for your vacation, it’s also very convenient, because Sapphire Beach is one of the few places on the island where there’s never a lack of available parking spaces.

In general, I prefer quiet beaches, because I’m not a big fan of beaches crowded with tourists, but Sapphire Beach is an exception to my rule. Sapphire Beach is approximately half a mile long, so even on a busy day, it’s easy to find a secluded spot to enjoy the sun. When we all had a day off from work, my friends and I would often spend the entire day at Sapphire Beach. We would arrive early in the morning to claim our section of the beach for the day.

...

• One of the reasons Sapphire Beach was a unanimous favorite among my friends was that we didn’t have to plan to bring a cooler for drinks with us, or a lot of extra items, because we could get anything we needed or wanted from the resort. We would usually just bring our beach towels, and then we would head to the resort’s beach bar for drinks, and maybe a sandwich. Prices at the beach bar are reasonable, and service is consistently friendly at Sapphire Beach in general. In addition to offering food and drinks, you can find pretty much anything you could ever want to enjoy an optimal day at the beach there.

You can enjoy water sports, including parasailing and jet skis, and you can rent equipment for snorkeling. Sapphire Beach may not be the most prime location for snorkeling on the island, but I would definitely recommend it as a good place to start for amateur snorkelers. Overall, Sapphire Beach is very well

maintained, and I think it’s even better in person than it is in postcards and pictures. The aqua blue water, the white sandy beach, and the palm trees all contribute to making it a perfect tropical paradise.

I don’t think many other beaches in the world can even come close to competing with the spectacular scenery Sapphire Beach has to offer. I very highly recommend spending at least one afternoon at Sapphire Beach for anyone who is ever in St. Thomas, because there are enough options available for anyone to enjoy themselves there. Whether you just want to work on your tan, sip on a smoothie in the sunshine, or get in the water and ride the waves, it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll have a great time, and make lasting memories at Sapphire Beach.

It’s also the perfect setting to take pictures of your vacation, so you can always enjoy the memories you made there. Sapphire Beach is certainly one of the reasons that St. Thomas is considered a tropical paradise.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6126041071880230/k2311a0426/4.26.10