Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships Game
1.0
  • Even ones I found lacking in the past look amazing next to this one
  • The main location is a resort (I think), where you're limited to the lobby, where you can talk to George, and heaven help me, a talking parrot
  • To be fair, there is a bit of a twist , but the whole time I had another twist in mind that I think would've been more interesting
  • Unfortunately, most of the game is in fact legwork which is what makes it so tedious

• by lostinwonderland

Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships marks the twentieth game in the Nancy Drew series of PC games, and wow, what a let down to mark such an occasion. I have played every Nancy Drew leading up to this one, and it’s by far the worst one of the series. Even ones I found lacking in the past look amazing next to this one. Many of the elements that make the series so much fun were taken out of this one. It felt almost like the game designers had time to render a few scenes and puzzles, and then released it as is.

The basic storyline is that Nancy, George, and Bess go to the Bahamas on vacation, and Bess is kidnapped and held for ransom. The whole game takes place on an island, and I just don’t understand the locale since there is practically no one to talk to and interact with. This is where the game feels incomplete. Lots of empty locations with only an object thrown

in here and there that you have to “find” to move the story along. The main location is a resort (I think), where you’re limited to the lobby, where you can talk to George, and heaven help me, a talking parrot. Other than these two, there is ONE other character to interact with who is found on a beach. That’s it. There is zero suspense in this game and there’s really no way to guess “whodunnit”, since there aren’t really any suspects to choose from. My favorite aspect of the ND games is trying to guess the criminal before the end (even if I am almost always wrong!). To be fair, there is a bit of a “twist”, but the whole time I had another twist in mind that I think would’ve been more interesting.

If the tedium of the game wasn’t bad enough, the puzzles are downright horrendous! I have never looked at a walkthrough for a Nancy Drew game so much as I did for this one. One ...

• puzzle was ridiculous: you had to scuba dive, with limited air supply (a countdown from 100), and do a Sodoku puzzle under water in this time. Seriously? No one would be able to do this on their first try, meaning the game was designed to force the player to have to sail back and forth several times to refill the air tank at the resort, until the puzzle was complete. Now I personally love Sodoku and would’ve had a blast working out the puzzle, except there was no way I was going to do all that “legwork” to have the honor of doing the puzzle, so I looked it up on a walkthrough. Unfortunately, most of the game is in fact “legwork” which is what makes it so tedious! I don’t mind challenging puzzles, but any puzzle that is in essence simple and made challenging purely by tedium and frustration is just lazy game design.

The map screen in this game is dreadful also. You are given a golf cart to

go around the island with, which apparently is being powered by Fred Flinstone with how slow and stuttery it is to move around. Then to make matters worse the island has the most confusing road layouts, and of course the only map in the game is hanging on the wall of the resort, so you don’t even have a reference material if you get lost. Would it have been so difficult to allow you to have a map in the inventory, if the island was going to have such a maze of roads? Again, this isn’t challenging, it’s just frustrating!

I usually look forward to every release of Nancy Drew and even set aside a day or evening to play it, so I can play it straight through. This is the first time in I don’t know how long, that I stopped playing it halfway through out of sheer boredom and didn’t pick it back up until another day. If I knew the ending would be so unsatisfying, I probably would’ve just shelved it for good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2826041071230130/k2311a0426/4.26.10