The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien  » Books  »
  • Unfortunately, they're long enough to turn this book into a really heavy reading
  • I read it from the first to the last page, and even if it was really dense, I enjoyed it
  • Tolkien, like difficult reading and still haven't read it, I would recommend it to you

• by Cal

The Silmarillion is a recopilation that J. R. R.

Tolkien’s son made of some stories written by his father. It is divided in 5 parts, and in each part it talks about the creation of the world invented by the author in his previous books called Middle-earth.

When I started this book, I admit that I did because I had read previously more books from J. R.

R. Tolkien, and

I was expecting a fantastic story too, but after reading it I felt like having received a class of world history.

The difference is that it wasn’t this world’s history but a fantastic world’s one. It explains about the races and characters that existed since the beginning of the Middle-earth, as well as their gods too, and you can learn a lot from it.

This book ...

• can be really dense in some parts, and it’s not easy to read, so if you’re going to read it, I hope you have read the previous books from this author. That way you’re more prepared and you can associate it to other stories like The Lord of the rings or The hobbit, and learn about all the races that appear in those stories.

The style

is very nice, with a wide vocabulary and really long descriptions, in the usual line of this author. Unfortunately, they’re long enough to turn this book into a really heavy reading.

I read it from the first to the last page, and even if it was really dense, I enjoyed it. If you’re a fan of J.

R. R.

Tolkien, like difficult reading and still haven’t read it, I would recommend it to you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1725041070690730/k2311a0425/4.25.10