St. Thomas, USVI Paradise Point Restaurant and Bar  » Restaurants  »
Havensight, St. Thomas, USVI 00802
  • Even though it's mostly popular with tourists, and not generally a regular hangout for local residents, I enjoyed going there on a few occasions when I was living in St. Thomas
  • There is actually a third option for getting there, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone
  • It's possible to walk there, and I know a couple people who have actually hiked up that hill, but they were in exceptional physical condition
  • I think getting there is really half the fun
  • It's definitely an incredible view and an experience that you shouldn't miss

• by Davis Tucker

Paradise Point Restaurant and Bar is a very popular tourist destination in St. Thomas. Especially for tourists from the cruise ships at the Havensight dock. Even though it’s mostly popular with tourists, and not generally a regular hangout for local residents, I enjoyed going there on a few occasions when I was living in St. Thomas. Paradise Point is a very unique attraction, because it’s located high above the island, and there are only two ways to get there.

You can take the Skyride, which is the only tram on the island, and is only open when there are cruise ships in port, or you can go by vehicle. If you opt to go by vehicle, I would strongly suggest taking a taxi, and not a rental vehicle or your own car, because the road leading to Paradise Point is extremely steep. It’s one of the steepest hills on the island, and I’ve actually seen cars that couldn’t make it up the hill. I usually took a taxi to get there, but once I went with a friend in

their car, and although we made it to the top, it wasn’t easy getting there. Going back down was pretty treacherous too.

There is actually a third option for getting there, but I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone. It’s possible to walk there, and I know a couple people who have actually hiked up that hill, but they were in exceptional physical condition. The hill is so steep that I doubt an Olympic athlete could climb it without taking a break, or running short of breath at one point or another. I think getting there is really half the fun. Once you’ve reached the top, you can get a drink at the bar and enjoy the incredible view.

Paradise Point is an open-air restaurant and bar, and there is plenty of seating at the bar. There are also several tables available, and no matter where you find seating you will be able to enjoy the view. As a general rule, I sit at the bar when I go somewhere, but at Paradise Point I usually sit at a ...

• table instead. I almost always order a bushwacker when I’m there, and I highly recommend trying one if you ever visit Paradise Point, because they’re famous for their bushwackers. It’s the perfect frozen treat to enjoy when you’re sitting high in the air overlooking downtown Charlotte Amalie.

Even though I lived in St. Thomas, I was always in awe of the unique view of the island that Paradise Point provides. It’s especially spectacular at sunset. I always tried to schedule my trips there around sunset, because when the sun goes down, the view is almost magical from Paradise Point. The menu at Paradise Point is mainly all-American, and consists mostly of appetizers, salads, and sandwiches.

My two favorite items from their menu are the taco salad and the mahi sandwich. I wouldn’t describe their food as exceptional, but it’s consistently good. Menu prices are also pretty reasonable, especially considering that it’s a popular tourist attraction. Most items on the menu are priced well under $20. Overall, service is usually good there too.

I’ve never had

to wait long for food or drinks, even on a busy day, and there’s never a lack of smiling employees. Paradise Point’s location and view are definitely the highlights for me, but I’ve also had the fortune to be there a couple of times when they were featuring live musical entertainment, and it made the experience even better. They feature some very talented acts, and it’s always fun to be there when there’s live entertainment. They also regularly feature live bird shows, which are equally entertaining. For those who aren’t completely enamored by the view and entertainment, there are a few souvenir shops next to the restaurant that you can browse in, and a lot of the souvenirs in those shops are surprisingly affordable.

I highly recommend Paradise Point for tourists visiting St. Thomas for the first time, and I definitely recommend taking the Skykride to get there. It’s one of the most unique opportunities on St. Thomas to really enjoy the scenery of the island, and it’s fun for people of all ages. It’s definitely an incredible view and an experience that you shouldn’t miss.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 725041070330630/k2311a0425/4.25.10