Hudsons Canadian Tap House (Restaurant)  » Restaurants  »
11248 104 Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (Oliver Square)
  • I would categorize Hudsons as having traditional pub-style food as well as a large selection of appetizers, and I believe this pub gets a lot of after-work business where people drink and have appetizers rather than meals
  • First, let me say that I have noticed a trend, which is a bit disturbing, in many pub-style restaurants lately

• by Jessie Bahrey

It was a very warm, sunny day and a few work colleagues and I were visiting various sites around Edmonton and deciding where to have lunch. One of my co-workers suggested Hudsons Canadian Tap House, which is conveniently located in Oliver Square in the northwest part of the city near where we happened to be. She said that it had really good food plus a patio, which seemed like a good idea since it was so warm. We met there, and I could see that it was a stand-alone building in a retail shopping area. We asked the hostess if we could be seated on the patio, and fortunately there were a couple of available tables outside. I could see as we walked through that the interior décor, with dark wood tables, bar lights,

wood floors and a large wood bar made the atmosphere cozy and made it appear to look like an authentic British pub. Our server arrived as soon as we sat, and I ordered a soda while some at my table had draught beers. Our drinks arrived quickly, and our server was fast and attentive as well throughout the meal. The patio was raised enough above the parking lot so we didn’t have to have a view of the lot, which was nice.

We looked at the menu while having our drinks. I would categorize Hudsons as having traditional pub-style food as well as a large selection of appetizers, and I believe this pub gets a lot of after-work business where people drink and have appetizers rather than meals. One of the appetizers that stood out ...

• for me on the menu even though we didn’t order it was the wings-they came with a choice of 12 sauces. Everyone at the table except for me ordered the steak sandwich entrée and I ordered the pulled pork sandwich. First, let me say that I have noticed a trend, which is a bit disturbing, in many pub-style restaurants lately; the lunch entrées which used to be $6-9 dollars are now a few dollars more expensive. Hudsons is a bit pricey, as our sandwich meals were all $11.99. That being said, the sides available with the meals were fries (with gravy if desired), 3 types of salads, soup, and poutine, which was a unique choice. I ordered a Caesar salad with my meal and everyone else ordered fries.

Our food arrived very quickly. My pulled

pork sandwich, which was served on a hoagie bun, was very unique-it was served with coleslaw in the sandwich instead of on the side. I was skeptical, as I couldn’t imagine the two flavours together, but it was tasty, and the coleslaw had a spicy kick to it. My Caesar salad was not very good, however; it was basically lettuce with a terrible, bottled dressing. But the sandwich was good and everyone at the table said the steak sandwiches and fries were excellent. The portions were very good too.

Overall, Hudsons has good, pub-style food, good service and a nice atmosphere. The prices tend to be higher than some pubs I have been too, so that is why I cannot give a very high score, but there are some unique aspects that make it a fun place to eat.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 725041070200630/k2311a0425/4.25.10