Animal Care Veterinary Hospital, Inc.  » Pets  »
2750 New Salem Hwy., Murfreesboro, TN
  • I don't agree with that attitude and have demanded the best care for all my animals
  • It has been a challenge to find a good veterinarian, one who cares for my pets by recognizing that their value goes far beyond what I paid for them
  • If you live anywhere in the Murfreesboro, Tennessee area, I highly recommend that you take your pets to Animal Care Veterinary Hospital

• by Jeannine

I’ve had pets ever since I can remember. There have been dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, mice, guinea pigs, turtles, fish, and birds of all shapes and sizes. It is always a challenge to obtain good veterinary care for animals other than cats and dogs. The smaller less expensive the animal, the more “disposable” it is expected to be. I don’t agree with that attitude and have demanded the best care for all my animals.

For the past 20 years, most of them have been birds: parakeets, zebra finches, and chickens. I have lived all around the country. It has been a challenge to find a good veterinarian, one who cares for my pets by recognizing that their value goes far beyond what I paid for them. Five years ago, I was lucky enough to find Animal Care Veterinary

Hospital.

Their beyond excellent care of my birds has convinced me that any other animal would be lucky to be in their care. If you’ve ever tried to get a vet to see a chicken or to do something for a tiny, sick zebra finch, you know the struggle to find a responsible veterinarian who knows what to do for such animals. Animal Care Veterinary Hospital offers a full spectrum of care for dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, and small mammals. Services include wellness care and vaccination, boarding and daycare, bathing and dietary consultation, and dental care, as well as the insertion of microchips to aid in finding lost pets.

For sick animals, they provide the very best, knowledgeable staff I have ever met. There is a complete offering of medical and surgical care including lab work, x-ray and ...

• ultrasound with 24-hour emergency care. For non-emergencies, they open Monday through Saturday at 7 AM, with hours as late as 8 PM on some days. Animal Care Veterinary Hospital has a great web site too.

Find it at http://www. animalcarevet. vetsuite. com/ .

It contains lots of information about the clinic, but that’s the least of it. There is a library of symptoms, diseases, pet drugs, tests and procedures. There are thousands of articles on pet care. If you sign up for a “Pet Portal,” you can access records for each of your pets including reminders for appointments and refills of medications.

You can e-mail questions to the veterinarians or the staff. My pets have required unusual care several times over the past 5 years, since I discovered this wonderful veterinary clinic. One time, one of my zebra finches was in

a coma from an overdose of medication given by a bad veterinarian at another clinic. My finch, a tiny bird, was tube-fed until it came out of the coma later in the day.

It went on to lead a long, healthy life. Another time, a finch needed surgery for tumor removal. Finches don’t do well in surgery. This one went into shock as it came out of the anesthesia.

The veterinarian did CPR on the tiny bird in an effort to save its’ life. Another time, I had a badly injured chicken that required surgery on a Sunday afternoon. In all of these cases and all of the more routine visits, my animals have received nothing but the very best. If you live anywhere in the Murfreesboro, Tennessee area, I highly recommend that you take your pets to Animal Care Veterinary Hospital.

Brigitta Mojs says :

Dear Doctor, I am contacting you from Hungary, Budapest. I have 2 canary birds, an 11 years old male and a 7 years old female. The female bird became ill, and it seems, that Hungarian vets are not able to cure her. I am trying to find a solution on the internet, that is how I found your homepage. I am kindly asking you to give a diagnosys, what may caused her illness and what therapy you suggest. Her symptoms are the following about 1-1,5 month ago I realised, that she is breathing heavily. That made her weak, one day she was only able to sit at the bottom of their cage. At this time a breather friend of mine suggested to put garlic in her water for 5-7 days. I did so for 5 days, but she did not get better. On 11th June I contacted a vet, who is curing birds it is rare in Hungary . He gave her Ivermectin drop and asked me to drip a solution of 10 Baytril into her rostrum for 5 days. It seems I just could not make her swallow it. As she still had the same condition the vet decided to give her 0,025 Amox and Dexadresonti B complex as injection. The X-ray showed that her utricle is clear the X-ray caused her a very high amount of stress . The cure consisted 3 injections one on every second day , but her state was still the same. So I visited another vet on 25th June. He gave her injection of Dexafort and Cevamec, and for home treatment he suggested to make her inhale 2,5 ml Fluimucil and 2,5 ml Amikin dissolved in 10 ml water 3 times a day for 15-20 minutes. So I put the bird into a transparent box with an ultra-sonic inhaler created for asthmatic humans. For the first day I could not buy Amikin, so I just made her inhale the Fluimucil solution. To me it seemed, that she felt herself better, scrubbing her rustrim to the bars of the cage, preening and scratching. I think she is overdosed, while she is dizzy and tottery after the treatment. So tommorrow I stopped the treatment. After adding Amikin to the solution she was even much weaker. I called the vet, but he is at a loss. Today her breathing was even worse, so I continued the treatment, but with simply laying the inhaler to her cage not stressing her with the box and with a thiner solution. What do you suggest for her? I really love this little bird, her illness makes me ill too, it would be a tragedy to lose her. So please help me if you can. Thank you very much in advance. Brigitta Mojs

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291711106880530/k2311a1117/11.17.06