2010 Kid’s Share Fair  » Other  »
Heritage Village Mall, 1645 N. Spring St., Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • This is our third year attending the fair (we attended our first when our oldest was just 2) and, compared to other years, I do feel this past one was the best
  • This is because the mall isn’t as well-maintained as it once was and I usually have to avoid everything from broken glass to potholes in their parking lot
  • I think they should look at other locations in the future, like maybe one of the schools or the community center
  • Another problem I have with this event is it isn’t long enough

• by Review Vigilante

I’m glad I was actually paying attention to the community announcements in the newspaper the other day. Otherwise, I would have missed out on the annual Kid’s Share Fair at the Beaver Dam Mall. This is our third year attending the fair (we attended our first when our oldest was just 2) and, compared to other years, I do feel this past one was the best. The annual Kid’s Share Fair is an event where local businesses and organizations gather together and put up booths for the local children.

These booths have everything from games to crafts they can do. And, most offer some sort of information regarding things like keeping your kids safe or proper nutrition. Once again, our oldest daughter loved this event.

She was up early Saturday morning because she was so excited about it and was thrilled

with all the stuff she was able to do, ranging from getting her hair colored (temporarily, it washed out when she took a bath that night) to coloring pictures and making a stick puppet. And, I really do appreciate the businesses that took part in this. Not only because she was entertained but because we weren’t bombarded with a ton of unnecessary (and unwanted) advertisements.

That being said, there are a few things that I hope will be improved before the next one. First, even though the Heritage Mall is pretty much the only spot in town capable of holding such an event, I really am not much of a fan of this location. This is because the mall isn’t as well-maintained as it once was and I usually have to avoid everything from broken glass to potholes in their parking ...

• lot.

I think they should look at other locations in the future, like maybe one of the schools or the community center. Another problem I have with this event is it isn’t long enough. It starts at 9 and is over by noon.

I have two kids to get out the door in the morning (along with a wife who takes forever). So, we weren’t there exactly at 9 (closer to 9:30) and 2 ½ hours just was not enough time. In fact, three hours probably wouldn’t have been.

We’re talking booths that offer arts and crafts projects. Those take a while. So, if you expect a child to see every booth (like my daughter wanted to), the event needs to be at least an hour longer.

And, while my oldest daughter liked the event, I have to say my youngest

was pretty bored. Yes, she’s only 9 months old and can’t do any of the arts and crafts stuff. But, I remember the first time we attended this event and they had stuff for younger kids.

For example, I remember a carpet-time type activity where little kids could play with a variety of toys. I would have loved to have something like that this time around so our youngest wouldn’t have been ready to go home after about 30 minutes. Again, I do appreciate the fact we even have the event to begin with and the fact it is free to anyone so please don’t take my dislikes as anything more than suggestions because I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining about something our family does love.

This is a great event that I’m glad our community has for the families here and I think more communities should try to copy it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1222041067850930/k2311a0422/4.22.10