L’Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base (Makeup)  » Cosmetics  »
  • I had seen it at my friend’s house, and she swore that her face became smooth and looked amazing when she used it as a makeup base
  • She had paid a lot for this item in Canada, so I decided to see what it cost in Washington
  • I found this item in a drugstore, for $13 for quite a small jar, but that was still much less expensive than in Canada

• by Jessie Bahrey

I don’t wear a lot of makeup on my face, other than powder or bronzer, and occasionally blush. I also have never used a so-called primer or base on my face at all, although I have tried this type of makeup on my eyes and lips before. I had made a list of some makeup and cosmetics that I wanted to look for when I went on my semi-annual cross-border shopping trip to the United States, and one of the items I was going to look for was L’Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base. I had seen it at my friend’s house, and she swore that her face became smooth and looked amazing

when she used it as a makeup base. She also said she was able to use it under her regular makeup or even just by itself, which was good for me, since I didn’t want to wear foundation over it. She had paid a lot for this item in Canada, so I decided to see what it cost in Washington. I found this item in a drugstore, for $13 for quite a small jar, but that was still much less expensive than in Canada. I purchased it along with my other items, and didn’t remember it until a few days later when I got home.

I read through the packaging, which claims that this product ...

• is lightweight, absorbs quickly, disguises large pores, blemishes and wrinkles, helps makeup stay put all day, and makes skin look smooth. It is also oil-free and fragrance-free. So, after trying it on three different days, here are my observations, both positive and negative:

The Negative:

-I find a jar inconvenient for travel; I much prefer a tube or plastic bottle;

-The texture is not my favourite-it is not lightweight, but very thick consistency, almost like putty, so it doesn’t feel nice on my fingers and I worried it would not feel nice on my face;

-If you don’t let it completely dry before putting on any kind of makeup over top, it won’t do what it is

supposed to do, and it will just create a mess. You have to take a bit of time, apply in circular motions with your fingers, and let it completely dry. Therefore, it is a bit time-consuming.

-While it did create a smooth look (see below), it did not disguise my wrinkles or blemishes.

The Positive:

-If applied properly, it did make my blusher, powder or bronzer last all day;

-It lightened and brightened my face, which I didn’t expect, and it did create a matte, smooth look.

-It helped whatever I put on top of it last all day

Overall, I like the look of this primer on my face, but the negative features do detract, and make it much less than amazing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3122041067440530/k2311a0422/4.22.10