Cover Girl Smoky ShadowBlast (Makeup)  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • On my latest trip to the United States to do a bit of shopping, I ended up buying a makeup product that was not on my list, but looked so interesting that I bought in anyway
  • I thought it was a bit risky to buy this without trying it out, but the shades were close to what I normally wear, and I wanted to try it out
  • The first thing I noticed was that step 1, the lighter colour on the rounded tip end, was much lighter once it went on than it first looked
  • I was very disappointed, because the shades looked so pretty
  • I will not buy this eye colour again, and I cannot recommend it, unless maybe you use a lid primer first

• by Jessie Bahrey

On my latest trip to the United States to do a bit of shopping, I ended up buying a makeup product that was not on my list, but looked so interesting that I bought in anyway. I was browsing in the Walmart I frequently go to, and in the Cover Girl section, I spotted something called Smoky ShadowBlast. It was an eye shadow/eyeliner pencil with a thick, rounded end and a thin, tapered end, and each end had a shade that complimented the other end. The ends were labeled Step 1 and Step 2.

The price was a bit high for drugstore makeup, at $17, but the fact that creating a smoky look is so difficult for me to achieve made me curious. There were six different shades to choose from, purple, blue, grey, silver, green and brown, and I ended up choosing Bronze Fire, which is two

shades of browns. I thought it was a bit risky to buy this without trying it out, but the shades were close to what I normally wear, and I wanted to try it out.

The directions in the package were quite simple. Step 1, the lighter, round-ended shade, goes on all over the eyelid. Step 2, the darker shade with the thinner tip, goes in the crease and along the upper and lower lash line, and then you need to blend with your finger.

It sounded simple enough and the colours were very nice and rich-looking. As well, I was ready to try an eye colour that wasn’t my same old powder. After reading the directions, I gave it a try.

The first thing I noticed was that step 1, the lighter colour on the rounded tip end, was much lighter once it went on than it first looked.

• It was soft at first when I applied it, but I had to apply several times, because it was so light, and that is saying something for me, as I don’t wear dark colours. I ended up applying it several times, so when I finally got dark enough, my eye lid was a bit sore.

It didn’t glide on easily, as I thought it would. It also was a bit greasy. I then applied the darker shade on the pointed tip, putting it in the crease and along the lash lines.

Again, it was a bit greasy, and didn’t show up until I had applied it several times. When I blended, much of both shades came off! This, I thought, didn’t bode well for it lasting all day. It looked nice enough, but within two hours, it pretty much all ended up in my crease, and I had

to reapply.

In fact, I could’ve reapplied every 3 hours. I was very disappointed, because the shades looked so pretty. Instead of the smoky eye I had hoped for, my eyes looked greasy as if I had slept in my makeup.

It did not look fresh at all. Usually, I am very happy to have a sheer shade of eye makeup, but this is too sheer, too greasy and does not last. I have since tried it over top of face powder and this helped make it crease less quickly, but it still creased in a few hours.

I will not buy this eye colour again, and I cannot recommend it, unless maybe you use a lid primer first. It is a shame, because the colours look great, and the idea of having help creating a smoky eye look is a great idea, but the product does not live up to the claims.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3122041067410530/k2311a0422/4.22.10