The William Thornton restaurant  » Restaurants  »
anchorage at The Bight, Norman Island, British Virgin Islands, ISO 3 - alpha - VGB
  • My first visit to the Willy T was definitely a memorable experience on my birthday a few years ago
  • That day ended up being one of the best days of my life
  • The Willy T is famous for their Painkiller, and I think they deserve the title for best Painkillers in the Caribbean
  • The entire atmosphere at the Willy T is very upbeat and friendly, and I would definitely describe it as a party atmosphere
  • It's truly a unique experience, and I recommend it as one of the best experiences you can have in the entire Caribbean

• by Davis Tucker

The William Thornton, more popularly known as the Willy T, is certainly one of the most unique restaurants and bars in the Caribbean. My first visit to the Willy T was definitely a memorable experience on my birthday a few years ago. I was living in St. John at the time, and a friend of mine who has a sailboat took a group of our friends on a day sailing trip. I was under the impression that we were just going to sail the open waters for a few hours.

I fell asleep while we were sailing, and the next thing I knew, my friends were waking me up to tell me we were in the British Virgin Islands, and we were going to the Willy T. We anchored the boat within sight of the Willy T. I had heard stories about it, but didn’t fully appreciate it until I actually saw it, because the Willy T is actually a boat. It’s a floating bar

and restaurant.

The only way to get to the Willy T is by boat, so after we anchored, we all piled into the dinghy and headed to the Willy T. It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience, because there aren’t too many bars and restaurants in the world that you can only reach by boat. That day ended up being one of the best days of my life. After boarding the Willy T, my friends took me directly to the bar and ordered a round of Painkillers to celebrate my birthday.

It was the first time I had ever had a Painkiller, which is a refreshing cocktail made with Pusser’s rum. The Willy T is famous for their Painkiller, and I think they deserve the title for best Painkillers in the Caribbean. Since that day, I’ve sampled Painkillers at other establishments, but none could compare, so I think the Willy T’s recipe remains the best. The entire atmosphere at the Willy T is very ...

• upbeat and friendly, and I would definitely describe it as a party atmosphere.

When I was there on my birthday with my friends, we enjoyed cocktails and mingling with the other customers for several hours, and we had such a good time we were all hesitant to leave. Everyone, from our fellow customers to the bartenders, was friendly and in a good mood. I think everyone left feeling great that day. Although we only enjoyed cocktails that day, the Willy T also offers lunch and dinner menus, so you have the option to get something to eat while you’re there enjoying cocktails.

The menus are simple, but the food has an excellent reputation. On another trip to the Willy T, I tried the British fish and chips, which were absolutely outstanding, and I would highly recommend them to anyone visiting the Willy T. Prices are also very reasonable. I’m always surprised at how small my tab is when I visit the Willy T, even after

a long day of indulgence.

At one time, the Willy T was famous for distributing free t-shirts to anyone daring enough to jump off the top deck of the boat. Unfortunately, there was an accident a few years ago, so customers are no longer permitted to jump, but the t-shirts are still available for purchase to commemorate your visit to the Willy T. I’m reminded of the great times I’ve had there each time I wear my Willy T t-shirt. I can’t recommend the Willy T high enough for anyone who is visiting the Caribbean and has access to a boat.

Everyone I know who has visited the Willy T has a story and fond memories of their time spent there. I always have a great time when I go to the Willy T, and I have lasting memories to satisfy me until the next time I’m able to go there. It’s truly a unique experience, and I recommend it as one of the best experiences you can have in the entire Caribbean.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 722041067130430/k2311a0422/4.22.10