The Fish Trap Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
Raintree Court, Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI 00831
  • If you ask anyone on St. John where you should go for great seafood, The Fish Trap Restaurant is probably one of the first places they'll recommend
  • It was actually a really fun experience, and I've always enjoyed going to The Fish Trap Restaurant since that night
  • Although it's definitely more upscale than a lot of beach restaurants on the island, the atmosphere is still fairly casual, and also very welcoming
  • It's a fairly small restaurant, but I think it has a lot of charm, and almost feels cozy
  • Overall, if you're looking for the best seafood restaurant in St. John, The Fish Trap Restaurant is definitely my number one recommendation

• by Davis Tucker

If you ask anyone on St. John where you should go for great seafood, The Fish Trap Restaurant is probably one of the first places they’ll recommend. Although I had heard about The Fish Trap, I lived on St. John for more than a year before I ever had dinner there. I had assumed that it would be an over-priced and arrogant establishment, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that it was quite the opposite of my assumption.

The first time I went to The Fish Trap they were actually having karaoke night, which was unexpected, because it didn’t seem like the type of place that would host such a casual event. My friend liked to sing, so he asked me to join him there for dinner and karaoke. It was actually a really fun experience, and I’ve always enjoyed going to The Fish Trap Restaurant since

that night. Although The Fish Trap is conveniently located in Cruz Bay, only minutes from the ferry dock, it’s almost hidden away in its own little corner near Wharfside Village.

I was very surprised the first time I entered The Fish Trap, because I was expecting very fancy surroundings. Although it’s definitely more upscale than a lot of beach restaurants on the island, the atmosphere is still fairly casual, and also very welcoming. You have an option to sit inside and enjoy the air-conditioning in the bar area, or you can sit outside at a table under the covered patio. It’s a fairly small restaurant, but I think it has a lot of charm, and almost feels cozy.

I would definitely recommend it for an intimate dinner. There are several options to choose from on the menu, including appetizers, salads, seafood, and steaks. They even offer burgers. The ...

• first night I was there, I ordered the grilled tuna, and it was absolutely phenomenal.

Since then, the mussels and crab cakes have also made my list of favorites at The Fish Trap, but it’s hard to specifically name one menu item as my favorite, because anything I’ve ever ordered there has always been exceptional. Even their burgers are outstanding. You should expect to pay approximately $30 for a seafood entree, but I consider that extremely affordable considering the quality and quantity of the food you receive. I could never afford to eat there every night, but if I could, I definitely would.

Appetizers and sandwiches are considerably less in cost. Drink prices are also extremely affordable at The Fish Trap, and comparable to drink prices at the surrounding beach restaurants, plus the presentation is much nicer at The Fish Trap. I think The Fish Trap is definitely unique,

because you can enjoy casual karaoke there some evenings, and on other evenings you can enjoy a quiet romantic dinner there. Although entertainment isn’t always guaranteed, it’s always guaranteed that you’ll receive excellent service, and excellent food.

I have always enjoyed above average service at The Fish Trap. Sometimes I would stop by in the evenings just to enjoy a drink at the bar, because the bartenders are extremely courteous and attentive, and it’s a really nice atmosphere to relax in. Overall, if you’re looking for the best seafood restaurant in St. John, The Fish Trap Restaurant is definitely my number one recommendation.

They even have a small seafood market next door where you can purchase the same fresh seafood they prepare in the restaurant and take it home, or to your villa, and prepare it yourself. I think consistency makes The Fish Trap one of my favorite little restaurants on St. John.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 722041067080430/k2311a0422/4.22.10