USVI Slip Away II bar  » Entertainment  »
Estate Frydenhoj, St. Thomas, USVI 00802
  • It's definitely different than any other bar I've been in on the island, and English is not the primary language spoken there
  • I'm not exactly sure what the origin is of the primary language spoken there, but I believe it's a combination of native Caribbean island languages
  • I only know that I can communicate with the bartenders with the small amount of Spanish that I know, and they seem to understand what I'm saying
  • I think Slip Away II is a good example of the melting pot of the many different cultures in St. Thomas, even though it's officially an English speaking territory
  • It's mostly frequented by local cab drivers, and the occasional soul staying at Independent Boat Yard, so going to Slip Away II is a very unique opportunity for anyone to experience island life from a different perspective

• by Davis Tucker

Slip Away II is a small bar on the East end of St. Thomas directly across from Independent Boat Yard, and I doubt you’ll see any advertisement for it. Especially not in any tourist guides. When I lived on the East end of St. Thomas I would occasionally go to Slip Away II to have a few drinks with friends.

It’s definitely different than any other bar I’ve been in on the island, and English is not the primary language spoken there. Spanish is the main language spoken there, but not traditional Spanish. I’m not exactly sure what the origin is of the primary language spoken there, but I believe it’s a combination of native Caribbean island languages. I only know that I can communicate with the bartenders with the small amount of Spanish that I know, and they seem to understand what I’m saying.

I think Slip Away II is a good example of the melting pot of the many different cultures in St. Thomas, even though it’s officially an English speaking territory.

I wouldn’t describe Slip Away II as a tourist destination, because it’s really more of a local hangout. It’s an open-air, very casual, and very nondescript establishment with pool tables, a jukebox, and a fairly limited selection of beers and liquor.

The main reasons I always enjoyed going to Slip Away II were the bartenders and the affordable drinks. Even though there was a distinct language barrier, the bartenders were always extremely friendly, and I was always greeted with a warm smile. Ordering a drink consisted more of a lot of gesturing and smiling than actual conversation, but I always received exactly what I ordered. I would actually say that the girls bartending at Slip Away II are some of the most friendly and gracious bartenders I’ve met on the island over the years.

Slip Away II offers some of the most affordable drink prices on the island. Prices for beer and liquor are considerably less than at the standard tourist restaurants and bars, and the drinks poured are generous, and served according ...

• to your specifications. I was very surprised how much change I received back the first time I ever ordered a drink there. I actually thought the bartender had made a mistake, but she just smiled, letting me know it was the correct cost.

Although the selection at the bar is pretty limited, there are some interesting bottles of rum available that I have never seen anywhere on the island. I sampled one of the rums once, and it was much stronger than any other rum I had ever tasted on the island. Slip Away II is also a fun place to shoot a few games of pool. Not many establishments on the island, especially on the East end, have pool tables.

I enjoyed meeting friends there sometimes for a few friendly games, and we would usually play songs on the jukebox while we were playing. The songs on the jukebox are almost entirely in Spanish, but still a lot of fun to listen to. It’s actually rare to find a bar with

a jukebox on the island. I usually went to Slip Away II during the afternoon or early evening.

I wouldn’t describe it as a really dangerous place late at night, but it’s just a good idea to be extra cautious everywhere on the island late at night. Overall, I really enjoy going to Slip Away II, because it’s a very friendly little place. I would recommend it maybe for tourists who are seeking a unique island experience, but I would only recommend it for tourists during the afternoon. Also, a little knowledge of the Spanish language will definitely be useful to help communicate your drink order at the bar.

It’s mostly frequented by local cab drivers, and the occasional soul staying at Independent Boat Yard, so going to Slip Away II is a very unique opportunity for anyone to experience island life from a different perspective. My final suggestion is to tip the bartenders generously if you decide to visit Slip Away II, because the consistently friendly service you’ll receive there is definitely worth it.

Karole says :

I several of my friends and I hanging out with a local person named Rudy at Skip Away. It was funny b c we were in town, and when he asked if we wanted to go to Slip Away, I thought he was talking about slipping away and I kept saying NO Finally, he said we will go and shoot pool, and I said, OH, ok. I recall it was up in the hills and it seemed like a fun place.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5922041067070430/k2311a0422/4.22.10