Febreeze Fabric Refresher  » Housewares  »
1.5
  • I thought at least now I can donate some of these items to charity without being totally embarrassed
  • In my opinion, this product may well kill bacteria, but it does not remove odors
  • It’s the odors I have a problem with, not the bacteria
  • Every time I do decide to use this product, I immediately regret having done so
  • I for one would be very disappointed to come home and find that someone had sprayed it all over my room as demonstrated in the commercials

• by Scarlet Hughes

I recently went through a box of old clothes and other fabric items and discovered they’d picked up an odd sort of smell. There were several knit hats and scarves- things I’d prefer not to throw in the wash. I chose to try this product based on viewing the commercials for it that seem to be on all the time in my area.

I sprayed this stuff on them and let it all air dry as per the instructions. When I came back from my day’s errands everything was dry. However, I hated the smell! It was awful. I suddenly had this dissinfectant smell coming from my cute winter scarves and hats. It dissipated over the next couple of days, but I could still smell it.

It was an improvement over the original funkier smell, though. I thought at least now I can donate some of these items to charity without being totally embarrassed. I also tried this stuff on a pillow and a couple of fabric covered evening bags. When these were dry, the smell wasn’t as bad, although I have to say I was more cautious that time about how much of the Febreeze I sprayed on these items.

Here’s the thing. I’m not a neat freak or a germaphobe. I don’t really care about the fact that this stuff kills bacteria unless the bacteria is what’s causing the odor. And, how can I possibly know a thing like that? Is bacteria necessarily responsible for the lingering odor of cigarette smoke, garlic, and the ...

• like? I’m not an expert, but I don’t think that it is. In my opinion, this product may well kill bacteria, but it does not remove odors. It merely replaces them with the strong odor of Febreeze, the scent of which I do not like one bit. It’s the odors I have a problem with, not the bacteria. Also, I have recently been paying attention to reports suggesting that obliterating all bacteria may not be a good thing because it can weaken the immune system. With that in mind, the thought of using more of this product than is absolutely necessary worries me.

For me deciding when to use this product is simple. First of all, I will never attempt to use it on apparel ever again. Next, if the

item in question is valuable or precious to me and the odor is more disagreeable than the scent of Febreeze then I’ll use it and pray that the scent of Febreeze dissipates over time. If not, I’ll put it out in the sun hoping the scent dissipates on its own, or discard it.

Every time I do decide to use this product, I immediately regret having done so. There are other alternatives to removing odors from fabrics, better ones I am sure. This is not a cure all for making fabrics smell fresh, and should be used sparingly and not liberally in my opinion. I for one would be very disappointed to come home and find that someone had sprayed it all over my room as demonstrated in the commercials.

Febreeze Fabric Refresher

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5321041066540630/k2311a0421/4.21.10