1999 Opel Corsa GSI 1.6i
  • It wasn’t brand new when I bought it and had around 25 000km on the clock, which isn’t much by any stretch of the imagination
  • For a small car, I found it to be relatively well balanced, given that it was kind of like fast with its modest 1600 engine
  • It’s like getting the best of both worlds
  • Maintenance is really low cost and I have only had to have one major service done to it, throughout the entire eight year period that I owned the car

• by Banelisiwe Lubisi

My first car was something so special for me that I still have it today. I will treasure my little Opel Corsa GSI for life, as it has a really special place in my heart.

It wasn’t brand new when I bought it and had around 25 000km on the clock, which isn’t much by any stretch of the imagination. It was also very neat, clean and well looked after by the previous owner so I had found myself a little

gem.

My purchase was premeditated though, as I had test driven one before so this was just the perfect little car for a first time buyer such as me.

For a small car, I found it to be relatively well balanced, given that it was kind of like fast with its modest 1600 engine. I rate this car as the perfect balance between required speed, it’s quite fast, and fuel consumption. It’s like getting the best of both worlds.

In terms of pull-away ...

• speed, I could match almost any vehicle beside me and with an initially full tank, the fuel economy was out of this world in areas with a lot of stop-start, stop-start motion.

Over longer distances however, it does consume a bit more but strangely appears to be even more economic over the really long distances, especially if I completed them over one continuous drive with no real stops in between.

Now, the car still makes for a great runaround car and still

performs very well. Maintenance is really low cost and I have only had to have one major service done to it, throughout the entire eight year period that I owned the car. I also find the parts to be readily available and I can drive in and get them on the spot.

A great car that has been a part of my life for a long time and I reckon I’ll keep it so as to pass it on to my kids one day.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 920041064210430/k2311a0420/4.20.10