Realspace Premium Multi Purpose Bookcase, 2 Shelf  » Furniture  »
  • When I went to shop for this item at my local Office Depot store I found I didn’t really love any of the finishes
  • It adds detail which I think makes it look more like a quality piece
  • Assembly was pretty easy and didn’t take as long as I thought it might

• by Scarlet Hughes

I just bought a new 42” flat screen tv for my small bedroom. Wall mounting is not an option so I needed a console. I wanted something with the look and storage capability of real furniture and not something that looked like a console for a tv. I also didn’t want anything as deep or wide as a traditional console, because I wanted to maximize every inch of space. When I was looking at Office Depot online, this one intrigued me with its chunky quality look for the price and its contemporary lines.

I also liked that it was so tall for a two shelf style bookcase. My bed’s kind of high and I need the tv to be several inches higher than the bed. When I went to shop for this item at my local Office Depot store I

found I didn’t really love any of the finishes. I guess I was hoping for something less ordinary and cheap looking.

I settled on the cherry because another piece in my room is that finish, so I figured well, at least two things in my bedroom will match now. The box was long, but thin so it wasn’t too hard to fit it into my compact car. Assembling flat pack furniture is not for everyone. I actually like assembling flat pack furniture and I’ve gotten pretty good at it.

What I don’t like though are surprises when I go to assemble something. One thing that scared me a bit was the warning label that only seems to exist on the instructions. Apparently I cannot put a tv heavier than 50 pounds on it. I assumed my flat screen would be okay ...

• on there, but it still bothered me this warning was not prominently displayed on the box or anywhere else.

The second surprise was finding out that the wood for the shelves is actually thinner than it looks. They supply molding pieces create to the illusion that the wood is thick. One nice surprise was the backing for the shelves. It’s still the same cheap cardboard that you always get with flat pack bookshelves, but it had vertical grooves on the front making it look kind of like beadboard.

It adds detail which I think makes it look more like a quality piece. Assembly was pretty easy and didn’t take as long as I thought it might. However, I got into a little trouble installing the molding pieces for the front. I had made an effort to follow the directions but, I

discovered I had put the moldings on upside down and had to partially disassemble the unit to get everything to fit together properly.

I was scared that I might damage the piece trying to reassemble it. To my relief it turned out fine. Anyway, the flatscreen fits on the bookshelf perfectly, plus I have additional storage now. I still don’t love the finish.

I would’ve preferred a rich dark brown. Otherwise it looks the way I would’ve expected. Aside from the cheap looking cherry finish, it does have that chunky quality look of hardwood furniture, and if I hadn’t put it together myself I don’t think I would’ve guessed that it was just particle board underneath all that molding. More than anything I’m happy that I found a slim alternative to a bulky media console that met my size specifications for just over a hundred dollars.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5719041063531030/k2311a0419/4.19.10