Cuisinart Grind Central Coffee Grinder
  • First of all, I love that the grinder cup that holds the beans twists off from the base for removal
  • I like to grind my coffee fresh in the morning and I feel like I’m waking the whole household just in an attempt to make the morning coffee
  • This coffee grinder is a definite step up, and for me worth the additional cost
  • The best thing is knowing I finally have a coffee grinder I can count on
  • In short, I'd recommend it to anyone who loves fresh ground coffee and doesn't mind paying almost thirty bucks for a coffee grinder

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

This purchase seemed indulgent at the time, because it’s about three times what I normally pay for a coffee grinder. But, one thing I am willing to pay extra for these days is clever and useful design and features. This coffee grinder has several of those. First of all, I love that the grinder cup that holds the beans twists off from the base for removal.

I always found it awkward to have to grind my beans and then turn the entire machine upside down to get the coffee out. That’s a definite improvement and I wish all coffee grinders could be made that way. Second, I love that it’s oversized and that the base is heavier than other coffee grinders.

It makes it more stable. It’s really nice that the cup can be washed

in the dishwasher. Although I have never felt the need to wash it, I’m glad that I can.

Also, appliances with spinning blades can be a little scary to operate, so I appreciate that the grinder blades absolutely will not operate without the lid in place or without the cup securely fastened to the base. Having said that, the design isn’t perfect. It promises an 18 cup capacity.

But, I find that it’s more like 12 to 14 cups worth. Also, while the blades and motor do a good job of grinding the coffee, the motor is as loud or louder than other coffee grinders I have owned. I like to grind my coffee fresh in the morning and I feel like I’m waking the whole household just in an attempt to make the morning ...

• coffee.

So, I was a little sad that Cuisinart didn’t make some attempt to address this. Also, while the blades make quick work of grinding the coffee, it doesn’t always grind completely evenly when the cup is filled to capacity. I find that I get a much more even grind if I fill the cup no more than half at a time.

Otherwise, it’s a matter of stopping, getting in there with a knife or something and stirring up the coffee grounds so that the less ground bits have a better chance of contacting the blades and then grinding again. Lastly, sometimes some ground coffee somehow winds up under the cup near the motor and needs occasional dusting away. If allowed it to build up, the cup doesn’t twist on to the base properly.

Even

though it is not perfect, I have to give this grinder points for working like a champ and in general being extremely low maintenance. All the other coffee grinders I have ever owned have been at best average and seem to have a limited life span. This coffee grinder is a definite step up, and for me worth the additional cost.

The best thing is knowing I finally have a coffee grinder I can count on. I make count on being able to grind coffee every morning. In the 8 months I have owned this appliance, I have had zero problems with it.

In short, I’d recommend it to anyone who loves fresh ground coffee and doesn’t mind paying almost thirty bucks for a coffee grinder.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5319041063491030/k2311a0419/4.19.10