Metrorail Train Service  » Travel  »
1.0
  • The only advantage about this train service is the fact that it is the cheapest mode of transport available in the country, but I would never recommend it to any tourist coming down to South Africa, weather to get around generally, or especially if you are headed to some event of importance, such as a World Cup™ game
  • In my experience, there has honestly never been a whole week that goes by where all the trains arrive and depart on time, they are always but always late and sometimes full as well
  • The toilets are in a shockingly terrible state and smell very strongly of urine, which is a very big issue for me for purposes of hygiene

• by Banelisiwe Lubisi

As a regular train user and commuter, of which the railway operator of South Africa is a company called Metrorail, the experiences I have had are not very pleasing ones at all.

if you are headed to some event of importance, such as a World Cup™ game.

In my experience, there has honestly never been a whole week that goes by where all the trains arrive and depart on time, they are always but always late and sometimes full as well. The trains are also not regularly cleaned (or they get dirty way too quickly) and the general management gives the impression that they really do not ...

• care about us, the commuters, and are only after the value of that train ticket.

The toilets are in a shockingly terrible state and smell very strongly of urine, which is a very big issue for me for purposes of hygiene. I sincerely hope something will be done about these issues, but have absolutely no faith in that hope.

What annoys me the most is the tendency of the trains to just stop in the middle

of nowhere, without any explanation at all. I also hate the fact that the management never takes the time to let us know if trains are going to be late (probably because they would be speaking non-stop) and always announce that trains are running late well passed the arrival and departure times.

My take is one should not waste any of their time and rather go for alternative, more effective modes of transport. Metrorail trains are a no-no.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3819041062810130/k2311a0419/4.19.10