Columbo: Death Lends a Hand TV Show  » TV  »
  • I truly enjoyed his scenes more than anyone else's
  • She has a certain carriage about her that I like in this role

• by Orrymain

I have to say truthfully that the absolute best scene from Columbo’s Death Lends a Hand was the very last one. There was this super conversation between Columbo and the father of the murder victim. In that talk, the police lieutenant reveals his mischievous past and his theory on why he became a cop. I laughed out loud. What a great moment.

Peter Falk plays Columbo with such common finesse.

It’s not easy to play this unassuming but yet very cunning cop. He plays dumb, but he’s probably a genius. You just have to love how he plays up to the murderer to get to the truth.

The father was played by Ray Milland. I truly enjoyed his scenes more than anyone else’s. He has such stature and power just by his very being.

The murder victim was a woman. Playing ...

• Milland’s daughter was the lovely Patricia Crowley. I actually appreciate her work now more than I did years ago. She has a certain carriage about her that I like in this role. I also like that she wasn’t commonplace. She’d just had an affair and instead of being blackmailed, she said straight up she was going to tell her husband. That was gutsy. I liked it.

The man she

cheated with, and her murderer, was an investigator himself. It’s funny because Robert Culp, who played this role, did a similar portrayal years later in one of the Columbo movie outings, only he was the father of the murderer instead of the murderer himself.

So far, this is my favorite of the Columbo shows. It’s from the first season and except for an overly long anticipation sequence towards the end, it was really top notch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1019041062670130/k2311a0419/4.19.10