Columbo: An Exercise in Fatality TV Show  » TV  »
  • The other guest stars are all great, Conrad is absolutely perfect, and I love the murder theme in this one

• by Orrymain

An Exercise in Fatality in one of the Columbo episodes I remember very well. It made a strong impression and I never tire of seeing it. Here are a few of the hits and misses for me about this show from season four.

–Robert Conrad is perfect casting for the exercise guru named Milo Janus. Conrad was always very arrogant about his physical prowess so he was meant to play this part of a gym owner and fitness nut. That

said, from the very first time I saw this show I wondered about the name ‘Milo’. Nothing against anyone named Milo, but I just don’t see that name belonging to Conrad. It doesn’t fit him.

–There’s an ongoing theme in this show about Columbo and modern technology. When he goes to a big corporation to get information on an employee, there is a really long, but hysterical bit with a woman who runs the data processing center. With huge computers ...

• behind her, she matter of factly tends to lieutenant’s request, though he doesn’t understand how that typewriter is coming up with the information he needs. Then he has to deal with an answering machine, and Peter Falk just plays that so dryly that I bust out laughing every time. Then he takes the wrong elevator, and after that he deals with office recordings. It’s really a string of modern mechanics that is quite enjoyable to watch.

–There’s a faux pas that

always bugs me, however. After getting the printout with the employee’s personal information, including the address and phone number, Columbo makes his call and then just leaves the printout by the pay phone. Ouch! Bad Columbo.

–Over the end credits they play the commercial jingle for Milo’s gym. That is such a hoot.

An Exercise in Fatality is one of my favorites. The other guest stars are all great, Conrad is absolutely perfect, and I love the murder theme in this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1019041062451230/k2311a0419/4.19.10