Columbo: The Complete Third Season DVD set  » TV  »
  • I hate that, and I don't like the dual sided product

• by Orrymain

Columbo: The Complete Third Season DVD set reminds me of diminishing returns. When Universal Studios released season one, it was awesome. The artwork on the DVDs was terrific and the set up of the set was superb. There weren’t any extras, but the show was there and it was top quality.

When Season two was released, the set was down-scaled somewhat. The DVDs were still quality, but the artwork was gone. I did prefer the book-like option, where there are two DVDs inside a single

holder, but one DVD is placed in its slot and then you swing it over and the second DVD is in that slot.

With this third release, Universal downgraded the release yet again. We have the same box quality as in the first two. It’s a nice picture of Peter Falk on the front with more pictures and a write up on the back. However, the cover is reversed in that the front should be where the back photos are and the back should be where the ...

• front is. It’s really weird.

There are just two DVDs that make up the set, each in its own holder. These are still the nice big ones before everyone began to go with the slim thin packs that sometimes harm DVDs. However, the disks are two-sided and they’ve gone from great artwork to moderate artwork to absolutely no artwork. The only way you know what side you’re on is by looking at that thin label around the center. I hate that, and I don’t like

the dual sided product.

However, they actually added one bonus item for the set, and that’s an episode of Mrs. Columbo. It was actually the second episode of that series and Columbo is talked about a great deal, which I suppose is why they chose this episode.

The third season had one of my all time favorite Columbo episodes, Double Exposure, which focused on subliminal cuts, as well as what is probably my favorite basset hound episode, Mind Over Mayhem. I’d buy this set just for those two shows alone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1019041062351230/k2311a0419/4.19.10