Columbo: The Most Dangerous Match TV Show  » TV  »
2.0
  • Of the three main guest stars -- Laurence Harvey, Lloyd Bochner, and Jack Kruschen -- the only one who even piques my curiosity slightly is Kruschen, and that's more because I know and loved him in the pilot movie for Emergency
  • The Most Dangerous Match that I enjoy, and I like it a lot, are the scenes with Columbo, the unnamed basset hound, and the vet
  • I love the worry and care that Columbo gives his dog

• by Orrymain

Not every show, even that of a series you love a lot, not be of interest to everyone all the time. Sometimes, there are those that bore or for whatever reason just don’t lure a person in. Such is the case for me with Columbo: The Most Dangerous Match.

Peter Falk is terrific as Columbo. There is no one who could do what he does in this attention getting part. He’s an every day cop just doing his job, but

he’s genius at it. He foils his competitors without ever breaking a sweat. He’s the magic of the show.

However, to really enjoy an episode of the police crime story, there needs to be strong guest stars that can carry the story. Sometimes, even with those talented performers, a story can just stall. That’s what this one does for me.

Of the three main guest stars — Laurence Harvey, Lloyd Bochner, and Jack Kruschen — the only one who ...

• even piques my curiosity slightly is Kruschen, and that’s more because I know and loved him in the pilot movie for Emergency! Harvey gets the majority of airtime, and he bores me as much as Lawrence of Arabia made me yawn.

Then there’s the subject matter, or gimmick, for the show — chess. I’m not into chess, so that’s another strike.

In fact, the only part of Columbo: The Most Dangerous Match that I enjoy, and I like it a lot, are

the scenes with Columbo, the unnamed basset hound, and the vet. I love the worry and care that Columbo gives his dog. It’s precious and makes me smile. I also laughed heartily at the bit when Columbo was worried about the sounds the dog was making and the vet explained something like, “That’s called snoring.”

So, it’s a big 10 for the dog scenes, but a yawn and a snooze for the actual murder story and everything concerning it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1019041062261230/k2311a0419/4.19.10