Columbo: Dagger of the Mind TV Show  » TV  »
1.0
  • She's really quite funny, all things considered
  • I just wish someone better than Basehart had been cast in the role of her husband

• by Orrymain

A ham and a tart. That’s the standout moment of this episode of Columbo called Dagger of the Mind. John Williams utters the accusation at a married couple who he believes has been using him to back their production of MacBeth. Williams calls Nicholas Frame a ham and his wife, a tart. As that saying goes, if the shoe fits …

In truth, Dagger of the Mind is probably one of my least liked Columbo mysteries. Though I adore Voyage

to the Bottom of the Sea, it wasn’t because of Richard Basehart. In this show, Basehart plays hammy MacBeth aka: Nicholas Frame. He’s a bit of a bumbler, and he really is cheesy. I just can’t stand to watch him.

On the plus side are a few really nice performances. If Basehart and the actual plot didn’t bug me so much, I’d really love this show. Not only do we have Wilfrid Hyde-White as a butler named Tanner, but there’s ...

• the delightful Bernard Fox, guest starring as Detective Chief Superintendant William Durk of Scotland Yard. Watching him with Columbo was just a hoot. This is the type of stuff that Fox was so good at, sort of a straight comedy.

The murdered victim was played by John Williams. When I see him, I think of Mr. French on Family Affair. Williams played the role short term when Sebastian Cabot was ill. Williams is so properly British. I get a

kick from watching him.

Finally, there is Honor Blackman, much beloved from her days on The Avengers. She plays Lilian Stanhope, Frame’s wife. She’s really quite funny, all things considered. She sparkles and brings a lot of life to her part. I just wish someone better than Basehart had been cast in the role of her husband. He just drove me up the wall and caused what could have been a good show into something that usually makes me change the channel.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1019041062221230/k2311a0419/4.19.10