Burts Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beets Shampoo  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • I have to admit, I bought the Burts Bees Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo just out of sheer curiosity
  • I'd never considered washing my hair with beets of any kind in the past, and since I know Burts Bees products are all natural, that's exactly what I would be doing having purchased this shampoo
  • I actually had to leave work on my lunch break (thankfully I live five minutes away) and re-wash my hair with my regular shampoo, because I looked like I'd just lathered my hair with shortening, and it was definitely not a look I'd been aiming for when I showered that morning

• by Anasuya

I have to admit, I bought the Burts Bees Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo just out of sheer curiosity. That is certianly not a combination of ingredients I expected to come across in any product, much less a shampoo. I’d never considered washing my hair with beets of any kind in the past, and since I know Burts Bees products are all natural, that’s exactly what I would be doing having purchased this shampoo. I’ve loved Burts Bees products for as long as I can remember, and was anxious to try a shampoo of theirs for the first time, since I stuck mostly with bug bite creams and moisturizers in general. Their beauty products I tended to stay away from, and that’s what I would’ve categorized this as, since it wasn’t exactly the skin care products I normally migrated towards.

I have very finicky and picky hair, and it doesn’t take to a lot of shampoos very easily. And I’ve very particular about the feel of

shampoo in my hair and the feel of my hair after washing. So, needless to say, I go through shampoo like it’s running out of style, usually pawning off the stuff I don’t want on my teenage boys, who could really care less what shampoo they use so long as it cleans their hair to their satisfaction (which washing with water would probably do!). My hair is very fine and oily, and doesn’t take heavy shampoos very well, or conditioners at all, and a lot of these natural shampoos tend to carry rather heavy products like paraben based ingredients that do nothing for already oily hair. But, I liked the smell of this shampoo and appreciated it was paraben free and the only “heavy” ingredients it had in it were a bit of cocount and sunflower oils.

I was anxious to try it though because, surprisngly enough, the ingredients smelled fantastic. I wasn’t sure what smell I’d attributed with soybean proteins and sugar beet extract in my ...

• head, but it wasn’t at all the pleasant aroma that wafted out at me upon initial use. The shampoo also has a ton of essential oils such as orange, lemon, lime and tangerine, which moisturize the hair. I worried that might be a bit much in the “oil” area, but it didn’t seem to weight my hair down too much…. at first.

I used the product the first day, and for a few hours my hair smelled and looked great. The dead-end frizz was gone and it was shiny with a lot of movement. Not to mention that my husband, at least, really appreciated the lovely smell, which permeated the entire bathroom for an hour after my shower. Not in a bad way either. In fact, I’d say the smell was pretty much the redeeming quality about this shampoo, because other than the initial use and the four hours following it, this shampoo didn’t do much at all else for my hair. By mid afternoon, I was

looking very weighed down, and by 5pm, my hair was looking and feeling downright greasy. I actually had to leave work on my lunch break (thankfully I live five minutes away) and re-wash my hair with my regular shampoo, because I looked like I’d just lathered my hair with shortening, and it was definitely not a look I’d been aiming for when I showered that morning.

Now, my husband was able to use the shampoo and not have this result, because his hair is thick and coarse and dry and he uses a conditioner on a daily basis, which I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole, but he also doesn’t care enough about shampoos to warrant me repurchasing this product for his personal use. Like my kids, as long as he’s clean, he doesn’t really care. So, even though I really enjoy Burts Bees products as a whole, the Super Shiny Sugar Beet and Grapefruit shampoo is not a product I’ll be testing again any time in the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3118041062021130/k2311a0418/4.18.10