University of Wisconsin at River Falls
410 S. Third St., River Falls, WI 54022
  • As an alumnus, I can tell you I disagree completely
  • I spent four years at UW-River Falls and, even though I did find the job market a bit tough after getting my degree, I don’t regret my decision

• by Review Vigilante

When people think of colleges in Wisconsin, they naturally think of the University of Wisconsin in Madison. And, as far as colleges go, it’s probably one of the better ones in the college. When I was a college student, I had an opportunity to go to that larger college. But, I have never been comfortable in large cities and that large school scared me so I opted for something completely different; the University of Wisconsin at River Falls. River Falls, Wisconsin isn’t a large community.

In fact, the college probably has as many students as the city has residents. And, as a result, a lot of people might think the college there is a hick farm college that isn’t worth the paper the degree is printed on. As an

alumnus, I can tell you I disagree completely. I spent four years at UW-River Falls and, even though I did find the job market a bit tough after getting my degree, I don’t regret my decision.

First of all, UWRF is a smaller school that only has a few thousand students attending it. This means the classes are smaller too. If you think this doesn’t make a difference, I can tell you it does. I was able to get one-on-one attention from most of my professors and they even knew who I was without me telling them.

In fact, I attended a few classes that had less than 10 students in them. Unlike some of the larger college campuses that are in the state, all of the buildings at

UWRF are within walking distance of each other (as is most of the city). If you don’t think this is a big deal, try driving somewhere in a hurry after a blizzard. It is a heck of a lot easier to walk (especially if you are like me and cut through the different buildings to get out of the cold for a couple minutes at a time).

Quite honestly, knowing the type person I am, if I had attended another school, I probably would have gotten sick of it and would never have graduated. The above reasons are the reasons I not only got a degree, I ended up graduating with a double major (despite changing majors twice). If I have any complaints about the college it would have ...

• University of Wisconsin at River Falls
      to relate to the parking. The student lots are located near the ends of the campus.

If you are lucky enough to be in a dorm near one, it’s not a big deal. But, with some of the dorms, you do have to walk a bit. And, forget about parking your car on the city street. They don’t allow overnight parking on most of the streets in the city and, if you try it, you’ll end up with a ticket.

Some of the older dorms are also not the most comfortable places in the winter. I stayed in Johnson Hall for a couple semesters, for example, and, during the winter months, you could hear the wind whipping through the hallways. It would even rattle the doors. Oh, and I

should mention you can’t control the heat.

Most of the dorms still have those heating systems with the pipes (the first time I heard one of those banging in the middle of the night I nearly wet myself) that really don’t do much to heat the room. And, since I’m on the subject of dorms, if you can afford to get a room by yourself, you should. I’m not sure what makes them think they can fit two students in one of those things and not have them kill each other. Like I said before though, I have no regrets about attending college at the University of Wisconsin at River Falls.

If you want a good education and either can’t afford a bigger school or don’t want to attend one, this is a college that is worth taking the time to check out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5016041061700730/k2311a0416/4.16.10