Capcom’s Mega Man X1 for Super Nintendo and the Mega Man X Collection
  • This game is easily one of the best games for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and here’s why
  • In my opinion though, I think 2d games age better than 3d ones
  • This may all sound interesting but this is a 16-bit Super Nintendo game, most of this plot development doesn’t really occur during the game and is something you sort of figure out in the later installments of the series
  • The bosses in this game are also in my opinion harder to fight compared to the original Mega Man games
  • I really love this game, it’s probably my second favorite in the series behind Mega Man X4 and I highly recommend it, 10 out of a 10

• by Shintai

The original Mega Man X for the Super Nintendo Entertainment system is a classic through and through. I played the crap out of this game when I was younger and I replayed it recently with all the charm still intact from when I originally played it all those years ago. This game is easily one of the best games for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and here’s why.

The 2d sprites and animations are simply great. For a Super Nintendo game, this looks really great. The colors are vibrant, the enemies and environments are detailed and the design gives the game a certain undeniable charm to it. This is a 16-bit game completely in 2d and so only people who can appreciate retro style games such as myself, will think this game looks good. If you’re into more modern looking games, then you won’t like the way this game looks as you will most likely think it just looks dated. In my opinion though, I think 2d games age better than 3d ones. Older 3d games look far more dated compared to older 2d games. Anyways, compared to other Super Nintendo games at the time Mega Man X stood out a bit for having some pretty great visuals for its time and while the other Mega Man X games

to come technically look better, this one still has a great charm to it.

Mega Man, has never, ever been about the story, and the X series doesn’t change this. However, instead of just fighting against Dr.Wily for the 10th time, the X series has you face against Sigma, a rogue Maverick who used to be Mega Man X’s superior. Sigma is a charismatic individual, and he has gained the loyalty of other mavericks in order to fight against X. A Maverick is basically a robot that is going against their programming and is instead of helping humans, is trying to kill them. This may all sound interesting but this is a 16-bit Super Nintendo game, most of this plot development doesn’t really occur during the game and is something you sort of figure out in the later installments of the series. Another thing to keep in mind, is that this game takes place hundreds of years after the original Mega Man series. So while they’re connected somewhat, they’re still connected and sometimes during the series it references the original series. For example, Dr. Light is the one that leaves Mega Man X the different armor pieces in order to strengthen Mega Man X and give him the ability to fight. Another thing to remember is that Mega Man ...

• X is NOT the same Mega Man from the original series, but is a completely different robot made by Dr. Light. So yeah, story-wise, this game isn’t really there, but that’s not such a bad thing, I mean it may seem like from what I described that there’s a lot to the story, but that’s only after going through all of the games of the series. Again though, this really doesn’t hinder the game much, the game play is the most important part.

The music in Mega Man X ranges from okay, from, holy freaking crap that is awesome. I think my absolute favorite song in the game, is Spark Mandrill’s stage. The song in that stage is just amazing. I literally felt like jumping up and rocking out whenever I heard this song because it was just so damn awesome! Some other songs are good too, but I think this one stood out the most for me. Music has always been a pretty integral part of Mega Man, and this is something has continued in the X series.

The game play in this game is similar to the original Mega Man series, but with some interesting additions. First off it’s Mega Man X’s armor. He can find and equip different pieces of white armor in order to

make himself more powerful. Either by being able to charge his special weapons, be able to break rocks with his head or take less than half of the normal damage, the white armor adds another layer of strategy to the game not found in the original Mega Man series. The bosses in this game are also in my opinion harder to fight compared to the original Mega Man games. It might be because you start off with a rather small amount of health and you have to get more health capsules, while the original Mega Man has the max amount of health in the beginning, but I think this gives the game an interesting challenge and adds a nice sense of exploration to the games which isn’t quite as well done in the original series compared to the X series. The X series has you really searching through the levels in order to find the secrets and I think it adds more depth, especially in this game since it’s the first one so everything feels new and fresh.

I really love this game, it’s probably my second favorite in the series behind Mega Man X4 and I highly recommend it, 10 out of a 10. This game has no problems and if you love Mega Man, this is a must play without a doubt.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2815041061260130/k2311a0415/4.15.10