System of a Down The Toxicity Album
  • I like the way the lead singer sounds in this one, he just sounds like he’s having fun with the different inflections of his voice saying weird things like “take this promise for a ride, you saw the forest now come inside, you took the legend for its fall, you saw the product of it all, the televisions in air, the circumcisions on the chair, look at us now
  • The song itself is good but not the best song on the album
  • Overall, I give this album a 9 out of a 10, I love this album and it has some of my favorite songs from my favorite band

• by Shintai

This is the album that put System of a Down on the map, if it wasn’t for this album then they wouldn’t be where they are today and it’s easy to see why, it’s a fantastic album in a lot of ways. It’s not my personal favorite, but it’s still an album I very much enjoy and has some of my favorite songs.

First off, the band invites you with a Prison Song, a hard rocking song criticizing the prison system in America and it does a great job of that in my honest opinion. It’s a great song and it’s a great introduction to an awesome album. Next up is Needles, and I really liked this song because this is, while not the first song they let the guitar player sing, but this song up to this point is the most they’ve ever let him sing, and it shows that he’s actually a pretty good singer.

I still love Serj Tankian of course, but I also like to hear Daron Malakian, the lead guitar player sing as well. All he really says though is “I am sitting in my room with a needle in my hand, just waiting for the tomb, of some old dying man” but it works rather well! Next is Deer Dance and this song is another funny one, but it’s mixing its humor with a relatively serious subject, which is police brutality and how it needs to

stop, expressing such lines as “pushing little children, with their fully automatics they like to push the weak around” which is actually very true even if we don’t want to admit it. This song has a nice balance of hard rock and mellowness as well. The next two songs, Jet Pilot and X, are songs I really don’t like they’re too repetitive and aren’t particularly deep.

X has a cool intro, but I didn’t like the rest of the song. Ah, hells yeah, Chop Suey! This is the song, this is the exact song that made this band popular and is one of my favorite songs from them. It’s an iconic song that most people recognize because of its popularity. There’s a lot of depth to this song, and it has more than one overall meaning and has multiple meanings.

What are these underlying meanings? That’s what’s great about this band, they never say, because if you find your own meanings for the songs, that’s more important than to have someone else tell you. Iconic lyrics such as “I cry when angels deserve to die” is what makes this song so memorable, it’s just such a deep and well crafted song and shows just how talented this band is. Now as a way to shrug off the artsy and deep stuff, we have a song about having an orgy called Bounce. It’s a fun little song that doesn’t take itself seriously ...

• and is a nice way to get your spirits up.

It’s got some weird parts to it but I really like this song. Now we have Forest, which if it has a deep meaning to it, I don’t know what it is, but it’s a rocking song so I don’t care. I like the way the lead singer sounds in this one, he just sounds like he’s having fun with the different inflections of his voice saying weird things like “take this promise for a ride, you saw the forest now come inside, you took the legend for its fall, you saw the product of it all, the televisions in air, the circumcisions on the chair, look at us now!” It’s just weird stuff like that, that makes this a fun song to listen to. Atwa comes next, I am not sure what that’s supposed to mean but whatever.

The song has a bit of a slow start, but it quickly goes back to being hard rocking, and the goes right back to being slow paced. I like songs like this, the inconsistency is proof of how quirky and different this band is by ignoring normal conventions and instead comes out with its own unique sound. God damn it I love this band. The next song is Science.

It’s a simple song, it’s simply talking about how despite how far science has progressed, people are still dying and wars

are still going on, which is true and it’s a good message. The song itself is good but not the best song on the album. The next song is Shimmy, and this is a fun song. I am not sure what shimmy means exactly, but I am pretty sure it has to do with having sex, and I am always down for that.

Toxicity is the next song, and what a song it is. It’s songs like this and Chop Suey! that prove just how talented this band is. The next song is Psycho, and it’s an ok song, it’s basically a song about drugs and it’s not one of my favorites, but it’s a good song too, it’s fairly slow paced which is good and does a good job of slowing you down a bit from the rest of the album which has been a ride, but it still has its rocking moments, good song overall, but not one of the more memorable ones. The final song is Aerials.

This is very deep song, and is mellower by comparison to the rest of the album. It’s a bit strange seeing as how the entire album has been a roller coaster, and it ends with a still fairly rocking, but overall sad and mellow song. Overall, I give this album a 9 out of a 10, I love this album and it has some of my favorite songs from my favorite band.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1415041061170130/k2311a0415/4.15.10