Prevention Fitness Systems Express Workout Dance it Off  » Health  »
2.0
  • After enjoying my Prevention Fitness Systems Shortcuts to Big Weight Loss DVD a few weeks ago, I thought Id try their Express Workout
  • I love dance workouts but this one is starting to make me feel a little discouraged
  • I think this DVD would have been so much better if there were more instruction on the individual moves
  • It’s hard to say that I am a little discouraged by this workout but unfortunately I am

• by Jude244

After enjoying my Prevention Fitness Systems Shortcuts to Big Weight Loss DVD a few weeks ago, I thought Id try their Express Workout: Dance it Off, with Jennifer Galardi.

Since I already own several dance workouts that feature Latin and Hip Hop Styles, I was curious about the Ballet and Jazz segments also included on this DVD.

The warm up begins with side to side sways with shoulder rolls. Right from the start, the hip rocks, arm swings, and dance march feel less like a warm up and more like a dance. The choreography is cute but not exactly beginner friendly.

Since I didn’t preview this before-hand the three step combinations and tap struts tripped me up. I was okay with the plies squats, trunk rotations and shoulder reaches, but

kind of felt this was not a complete warm up but rather a shorter dance intro section.

Moving right into the Hip Hop segment we did a hip hop double and then single bounce. We then we did hip cracks, and then added it to the combination bounces. Next, we did a hip hop shuffle, and then a hip twist, before learning several more moves like scuffs.

I really felt the instruction could have been better for newcomers. You only get a second to learn the move before it is put into a combination.

If there is a move you don’t quickly get, you run the risk of not paying attention to the next move and then the combination is completely lost. I love dance workouts but this one is starting to make me feel a little discouraged.

In the Latin section, we started with the warm up’s triple step which was then a cha-cha with a march. We then learned a cross move with rolling arms. Although the Latin seems easier than the hip hop segment, it is still not that easy for a beginner. There are cross-steps on diagonals, step- shoulder- taps, rock steps, and a Latin square to keep you moving.

What would have been an awesome bonus is if they had included a dance move library. On some of my other dance DVD’s there are additional sections that isolate moves so that you can practice them at will. I think this DVD would have been so much better if there were more instruction on the individual moves.

I was excited to move to the Ballet ...

• Prevention Fitness Systems Express Workout Dance it Off
      section, so I skipped over the Jazz so I could try it first. We start with plies to each side with an arm float and foot drag into the center. Next we did Plies with leg sweeps and then moved on to a combination move.

After that we did a semicircle foot sweep, and then added a foot pulse at the back end of the circle. Next, we did standing sit ups to work the abs, and added side bends with plies. Lastly, we did 8 count roll downs, and a three position kick to wrap up the segment. The Ballet has been the easiest section by far, and the time just flew by.

The last segment I tried was the ten minute Jazz dance. We started with four steps up to a V step

and then added arms and an extra step–dig with push away shoulders. Then we did step-touch, drama arms. I had heard of Jazz hands but this is my first look at Drama Arms.

We then did another routine which was a kick-ball-change, step- touch, march, and push away arms. Then we did two hops with a hip roll, and a sweeping arm before moving on to several moves that made up the remainder of the dance.

It’s hard to say that I am a little discouraged by this workout but unfortunately I am. I think it could have been explained a lot better. For someone who has never seen some of these moves, it was hard enough to pick them up, without also being expected to put them together in an entire quick changing dance on the first time around.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3415041060551230/k2311a0415/4.15.10