Kool Smiles Dental Clinic at Quimby Village in Fort Wayne, Indiana
1852 Bluffton Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46809-1306
  • With the X-rays, they found it with no problem
  • I think he just has sensitive teeth, because the last time he was checked was about a year ago
  • Yes, I know, you’re supposed to take kids in every six months, but we had been in Bolivia for a few months, and he had not complained while we were gone
  • Even getting the shots of (I believe it was Novocaine, but I could be wrong) anesthetic, you don’t want a child moving around

• by AmericanWomanOnline

I took my four year old son into Kool Smiles in Fort Wayne, IN, today. It’s located in Quimby Village, towards Waynedale. He’s been in there before, and today I took him in because one of his front teeth looked discolored. We found out its nerve is dead. Most likely a trauma, which is common in kids his age.

They took X-rays and we found two small cavities. He had been complaining that one of his teeth hurt, and they had checked him before, visually, but found nothing wrong. With the X-rays, they found it with no problem. I think he just has sensitive teeth, because the last time he was checked was about a year ago. Yes, I know, you’re supposed to take kids in every six months, but we had been in Bolivia for a few months, and he had not complained while we were gone. Since they weren’t really busy, we decided to go ahead and have his cavities filled instead of coming back later on with another appointment. They said I could stay in the room with him. There was another parent there, with his son, also.

We discussed using only the laughing gas, and I told my son that if he did not calm down, we’d have to use the papoose board again. It’s not

comfortable, I know, but it really is for the kids’ safety. It’s not to be cruel, or barbaric, as I have seen some reviews state. The dentist, Dr Gross, was very patient, and very laid back. Dental care is done in the mouth, a very sensitive area, and no, it’s not completely pain free. Using the papoose boards is for not only safety, but also to help the procedure go more quickly for your child. With two cavities being filled, one on either side of his mouth, that means both sides have to be numbed up. That in itself takes time for the anesthetic to work. You wouldn’t want to be drilled in the mouth without being numbed. Neither would your child. It does take time, but it’s not overly time consuming. Even getting the shots of (I believe it was Novocaine, but I could be wrong) anesthetic, you don’t want a child moving around. The papoose board he was on was for the full body, he had no marks on him when it was done, and I feel it can be very necessary to protect a patient. Nobody complains about papoose boards being used by EMTs in ambulances. A friend of mine drives one and she has to use them quite often. If parents said ...

• no, you can’t use a papoose board on my child, and the child gets hurt from jerking when the dentist gives the injection to that child, that child could get hurt. Needles can and do break, and then you need to extract the needle. That is not a pleasant scenario by any standards.

The assistants both spoke nicely to me and my son, calmed him down as best they could when we were strapping him down after he wouldn’t quit moving around, and while the dentist was filling his cavities, the one assistant patted him on the chest and tummy to calm him. When they were doing the initial work with the shots, I held his hands. My son’s complaint then was that he could not see me because of the mask’s tubing system. I think if more parents were calm instead of protective in a situation they don’t need to be, this would rub off on their children. Many adults have had bad experiences with dentists themselves, and this is difficult to do, but it is possible.

My son’s number one complaint about the entire visit was that the laughing gas mask didn’t smell like Bolivia like I said it would. It was supposed to smell like oranges, and he said it smelled like icky oranges, and good oranges, and he was upset about

that aspect. He didn’t like the shots much, either, but he had had both sides numbed with the gelled cotton swabs. Again, dental work is not entirely pain free. A lot of people forget, also, that sometimes, pressure in the mouth gets confused with pain.

Yes, I would take my son back to Kool Smiles. We’re going back later this week for a cleaning on my son’s teeth, and after his initial upset today, I’m sure he will be fine. By the way, he wants to be a dentist when he grows up. If he were seriously traumatized, he wouldn’t want to be a dentist. I feel that Kool Smiles Dental Clinic gets under-rated in many reviews because they do the work quickly. I want it quick. So does my son. It can’t all be pain free, but it can be quick. And Kool Smiles is quick.

Smaller details, such as wait time, waiting room decor, cleanliness, and so on… It’s nice, quiet, spacious (and the back area is HUGE), with new play equipment for the kids, including a tube slide, a table and chairs, television sets, lots of seating, and nice carpeting. the bathrooms are usually clean, or at least passable. They do have children as patients, so I expect to see an occasional accident’s evidence left by a harried parent.

Ageal Qadouri says :

Do you treat adults? If not, can you provide some references, dental clinic s names and if possible phone number, please. Thank you.

AmericanWomanOnline says :

Yes, they accept adults. It`s a new practice, but it`s very nice to be able to have minor work, such as cleanings or X-rays done at the same time as your child. They also get to learn from your own experience that the dentist isn`t a bad place to visit.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3415041060281130/k2311a0415/4.15.10