Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder Model DMR-ES15  » Electronics  »
  • I bought this DVD Recorder at Best Buy for $160
  • My husband & I had a very bad experience with our first DVD player/recorder, not a Panasonic

• by Jeannine
      I bought this DVD Recorder at Best Buy for $160. The owners’ manual says that it will record and play on the following types of discs: DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, and DVD+RW. It will also play DVD-V, DVD-A, DVD-RW (VR), CD, and VCD discs. Our Family saves money by making the most of our extended basic cable TV service by watching almost exclusively from recordings. That way, we get to pick and choose what we watch rather than having to watch what is on at that time.

We also save lots of time (20 minutes per hour) by skipping all the commercials. We always use DVD-RW discs. Once we watch a disc, we erase it and record on it again, much as we do with our VCR tapes. Even though we record

on “EP” speed to pack up to 8 hours on a single disc, picture and sound quality are great.

The equipment was easy to set up. It is a component of our home theater system. I have it wired so the picture goes straight to our TV monitor and the sound goes through our stereo receiver and to our surround sound speakers. My husband & I had a very bad experience with our first DVD player/recorder, not a Panasonic.

We were worried about similar problems, but have had none in the 5 months we’ve owned it. This machine has behaved perfectly and offers a wide range of handy features. It is easy to program. We do “scheduled recording” where we tell it, ahead of time, what to record.

Recordings can be set to repeat Monday through ...

• Friday, Monday through Saturday, or Saturday and Sunday. Weekly recordings can be set to repeat any day of the week. One-time only recordings can also be made. The list of scheduled recordings arranges itself in order of recording.

In other words, if I have a list of recordings scheduled, then add one, that one will take its’ place in the list rather than appearing last on the list. The Scheduling screen tells you if there are any problems, such as scheduled recordings that have overlapping times. You can suspend recordings, so if a show isn’t on for a week, you don’t have to delete the show schedule and reenter it later. The schedule screen tells how many of your scheduled recordings will fit on the disc you have inserted, so you know ahead of time when

you need to put in a new disc.

You can enter a disc name as well as the names of each show you record. Later, the show names will appear on the disc menu so it’s easy to know what program to play. I don’t know how may shows can be on the scheduled recording list at the same time. Mine has 14 shows scheduled right now and is still asking for more!

Playback is also easy.

Within a show, it is easy to pause and fast-forward. There is a “commercial skip” button on the remote control that make playback go ahead 1 minute. You can use the “time slip” button to go ahead 1 minute or 10 minutes at a time. I can’t say enough good things about this unit.

I can hardly wait to buy another one just like it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161511105960830/k2311a1115/11.15.06