Mrs. Columbo: The Valley Strangler TV Show  » TV  »
  • The problem is really with the premise of the show

• by Orrymain

Mrs. Columbo: The Valley Strangler is from the second season of this mishandled crime adventure drama. I’d forgotten that in this second season they’d divorced the Columbos. I think that is also why it failed. They even had her going back to using her maiden name of Callahan.

The problem is really with the premise of the show. It sounded good on paper, but trying to get the well known Columbo’s wife a face in this type of show just didn’t work.

They actually would have done better to have created a show about a lady journalist with crime instincts. Get rid of the Columbo tie in, and this show might have succeeded. Season 1 was problematic because it was hard to envision Kate Mulgrew as Peter Falk’s wife. Season 2 was a disaster because no one wanted them to divorce, not to mention it would go against the Columbo movies.

This episode has some notable guest stars of the era. My favorite ...

• is Leann Hunley, an actress I’ve liked for years. She made waves on Days of our Lives and then on Dynasty. Her part isn’t that big, but she’s good in her scenes.

Andrew Robinson is the main guest star, and he’s a man who likes the stars, too. There’s a neat scene at the end that was, I suspect, filmed at the Griffith Park Observatory because it had a big telescope and dome observation area. It could have been elsewhere, but that’s

my first thought. I loved seeing it.

Van Williams had a small part, and Carmen Zapata was delightful as a landlady. It was a small role, too, but she really lent some life to the part.

I do like how Mulgrew reacts to the terror of the last scene. It’s so much better than what we often see, which is no reaction to a violent death. How she played it was real, and I appreciated that. The story itself was okay, too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1013041058020730/k2311a0413/4.13.10