2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup Qualifying - Phoenix International Raceway
  • In fact, I like Stremme better, but it's the time difference that awes me
  • It's also interesting that the top 10 in time included former IndyCar, Formula 1, and road racers with names like Almendinger, Scott Speed, Sam Hornish Jr
  • I also noticed that Turn 3 seemed to be the trouble spot, but I was happy that my favorite, Jeff Gordon, maneuvered it decently

• by Orrymain

I don’t often do reviews of the qualifying for NASCAR races, but every now and then I watch and think that things are worth mentioning, and this is one of those times. The qualifying was for the Saturday, April 10 night race at Phoenix International Raceway. This year the race has been extended by 63 laps, so there’s some mystery and unknowns.

I was really quite pleased that the young up and comer A.J. Almendinger ended up on the pole,

but he had to wait it out a while until everyone had taken their laps. What was fun was watching A.J. and his dad. As one of the announcers pointed out, the apple didn’t drop far from the tree. Waiting for the last several cars, father and son were in the exact same pose, standing, arms folded, pursed lips from their anxiousness. They made the same motions as they watched their cars. It was really amazing.

• I couldn’t stop watching them.

At the end of they qualifying, it was exciting to see Terry Cook beat out David Stremme by two one-thousands of a second. I can’t even imagine recording time that finitely, but that’s what it was. Cook’s in; Stremme’s out. It’s not that I like Cook. In fact, I like Stremme better, but it’s the time difference that awes me.

It’s also interesting that the top 10 in time included former IndyCar, Formula

1, and road racers with names like Almendinger, Scott Speed, Sam Hornish Jr., Juan Pablo Montoya, and Marcos Ambrose, who hails from Australia. I love the mixture.

I also noticed that Turn 3 seemed to be the trouble spot, but I was happy that my favorite, Jeff Gordon, maneuvered it decently. He went out early, so ended up 10th. Teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr. was 7th.

It looks to be an exciting April race. Qualifying sure was fun to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3513041057970730/k2311a0413/4.13.10